A Quick, Easy and Delicious Pizza Recipe

Over the Labor Day weekend, I decided to experiment with a few pizza recipes. I ended up with one that was particularly good and I want to share it with you today.


I started with a package of Sun of Italy premium pizza crusts. I bought the three pack because I wanted to experiment with several different recipes.


Here is one of the pizza crusts from the package, topping side up. These are nice, sturdy pizza crust shells that make very tasty pizza. Quite honestly, I find working with fresh pizza dough like working with bubble gum. Stretching and rolling and pulling and pressing and it rolls right back up into a ball. Who has time for all of that. I'll buy a pre-made pizza crust any time and dress it to my liking. Thank you Sun of Italy.


When cooking pizza, I use a stone. I heat it in the oven and then place the pizza on top and put it back in the oven to bake. The problem I have noticed is that the bottom of the pizza crust does not brown using this method. I do not like that. So in this experiment, I decided to turn on the broiler and place the pizza crust upside-down on the top rack, about 4 inches from the broiler. I left it there with the oven door closed for 6 minutes.


And this is what emerged from the oven. Perfection. Now it was time to turn it over and get started with our toppings.


This is the topping side. It actually started to rise a little during the browning of the other side under the broiler. That is fine.


I left the crust to rest and set about getting the ingredients together for this most delicious pizza. I started with a can or Rotel Mild. I prefer the mild but if you like the hot, by all means use that.


Pour the can of Rotel into a strainer to remove the water used in canning and packing. Do not rinse the Rotel. It does not need to be bone dry. Just drain it and give the strainer a shake or two and you are ready to start assembling.


For the sauce, I used Don Pepino pizza sauce. Don Pepino makes the most delicious pizza sauce. He makes better pizza sauce than I do, and believe me, that pains me to say. I tried a vodka pizza sauce in one of the other pizza experiments this past weekend and it was terrible. I will not be sharing that one with you.


For this pizza shell, which was about 14" in diameter, I used one-half of a 15 ounce can of pizza sauce. So, 7.5 ounces of pizza sauce is perfect for these shells.


Use pepperoni slices that you like best. I really like the Wilson brand pre-sliced pepperoni. If you have a favorite deli and would like to buy a pepperoni and slice it yourself at home, that would work. Most of us do not have the time nor the desire to do such, so your favorite pre-sliced pepperoni will do the job.


A nice layer of pepperoni on top of the pizza sauce. The Wilson brand sliced pepperoni is nice and large. I particularly like that.


Next, add the Rotel. The amount added in the photo is the perfect portion. You do not want to overdo it with the Rotel. Place enough of it on the pizza so that each bite will enjoy a taste. Too much and it will make the pizza crust soggy.


Now, a light sprinkling of truffle salt. Very light. Two or three turns of the grinder will be enough.


The next ingredient is freshly sliced mozzarella.


Arrange the mozzarella so that the entire top of the pizza is covered.


A sprinkling of shredded parmesan adds a nice robust flavor to the finished pizza. Fresh mozzarella cheese can be rather bland on it's own. Place the assembled pizza into a 475 degree oven for about 3-5 minutes. You want to give the ingredients time enough to be thoroughly heated through and for the cheeses to melt. You want the crust to be golden brown. Check the pizza after 4 minutes. Oven temperatures vary, so your pizza may be done at 3 minutes or it may take 6 or 7 minutes. You will know what works best in your kitchen once you have made this pizza the first time.


In just a few minutes, this is what you will have. The crust is perfectly browned, top and bottom since we browned the bottom in the first step. The cheese is perfectly melted. I would let this sit for at least 15 minutes before serving.


For a nice finish, I found Ecco Domani Pinot Grigio pairs perfectly with this delicious pizza.

Sun of Italy products are sold nationwide, but if you cannot find them in your immediate area, visit their website at www.sunofitaly.com where you can find all of their many items for sale. You simply place your order online and a few days later your package arrives at your front door.

I shared this post with you on a Friday because I thought you might like to make this for family or friends this very weekend. I hope you will give it a try. You are certain to love it.

A Topiary on the Dresser

I bought this rattan candle holder several years ago, I believe from World Market.  It was an impulse buy.  I was not shopping for rattan ca...

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig