Storing Linens

A few months ago I had a dear friend come for a visit.  We travel to see each other every year.  Either she comes to DC or I travel to her home in Indiana.  Last year we actually both flew to St. Croix to visit her brother and his wife.  She had not seen my new apartment since the sale of Crest Avenue, so she was anxious to visit and I was pleased to have her.  Of course, my apartment is a good deal smaller than Crest Avenue, so sleeping arrangements had to be made.  She ended up camping out on a very cute little roll-away bed I found online.  I love this little bed because it actually has a headboard attached.  Isn't that a hoot.  A roll-away bed with a headboard.  Who ever heard of such.  And the headboard was in a lovely grey-wash.  Just too perfect.  She told me that it was very comfortable to sleep on, which I was happy to hear.  I don't know if she was just being polite or if, in fact, it was a comfortable sleep, but I would like to think maybe it was a combination of the two.  When the visit ended and she went home, there was the issue of what to do with the bed and the linens.  There simply was not enough room in the closets in the apartment to store even one more pillowcase, so I had to start thinking about what to do.  Enter the Ziploc Flexible Totes.


I have used these in the past to store Christmas decorations, but when I saw this box I knew it would work perfectly for my storage needs for the linens used for the roll-away bed.


Just to be clear, I used the jumbo sized tote for this project.  I was storing one single fitted sheet; one single flat sheet; one single comforter and one standard pillow case and standard sham.


Once you get the tote out of the box you get an idea of just how large it is.  I knew immediately that this would work perfectly for my purposes.


I placed the comforter in first.  This helped to stabilize the bag and to make it easier to get the rest of the pieces inside.


Then, in with the sheets and the pillowcases.  I zipped it up and sure enough, everything fit perfectly.  Then I realized that I needed to place something inside to deter critters.


While I was in Target picking up a few other essentials, I found this plant-based sachet from earthkind.


The side of the box really says it all.  I don't know that I will be using the money back guarantee, but the rest of the descriptors sounded perfect for my needs.


I just placed the sachet inside the bag on top of the folded sheets; ...


... and zipped it up.  As the box says in the picture above, these will last for about 60 days, so it will be necessary to add a reminder to yourself.  Use your calendar feature on your smart phone or add a handwritten note to yourself.  I have a planner that I designed in Word and I type everything in that planner, so that is where my reminder resides so I will know when to change the repellent.


Finally, into the shed where this is protected from the elements and where it can rest comfortably until the next time we need it for a guest to, ... rest comfortably!!

No comments

A Topiary on the Dresser

I bought this rattan candle holder several years ago, I believe from World Market.  It was an impulse buy.  I was not shopping for rattan ca...

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig