An UPDATE on the Amaryllis and Paperwhites

I thought I would give you an update on the Amaryllis and Paperwhites from last weeks post.  By the time I made that post last week, these bulbs had been planted for several weeks.  I thought you might like to see where they are now.  I took these pictures this past weekend.


Here are out Paperwhites.  I am quite happy with how these are progressing.  They seem to be very happy in this location on the coffee table, so I intend to leave them there.  In the background you will see several of the gourds and pumpkins left over from the Halloween and Thanksgiving decor.  I drilled a small hole in the bottom of each of these with my Black & Decker cordless drill.  The idea is to let air circulate inside of each of them and allow them to dry completely so we can use them again next year.  It is time to put them away and start decorating for Christmas, so they will be moved this week.


Here is our Amaryllis.  Quite a different picture from the original post.  You will first notice that it is now a beautiful shade of green and not ghostly white like it was when we first removed it from the box.


This was what it looked like straight out of the box.  Not very healthy looking, but it looks quite healthy now.


A closer view of what will be our flower.  While it certainly does look quite healthy, I am somewhat concerned with the color.  That bloom looks pinkish to me.  I bought a white Amaryllis.  At least that is what was on the box cover.  I will not throw a hissy fit if it is actually pink or pink and white striped because in my opinion, all Amaryllis are beautiful.  But I bought what I thought was a white Amaryllis.  If I had wanted a pink or pink and white one, I would have bought that.  Let us see what happens over the next few days and weeks.  I think we will have a better idea of what the color will be by weeks end.

So there is an update on the bulbs we have planted for the season.  I hope you are trying your hand at indoor bulb growing this year.  It is very rewarding to plant them and then watch them grow.  And even if they are not fully opened on Christmas Day, it is OK.  Maybe they will be open for your New Year celebration.

No comments

A Topiary on the Dresser

I bought this rattan candle holder several years ago, I believe from World Market.  It was an impulse buy.  I was not shopping for rattan ca...

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig