The Amaryllis Bloomed

I realize we have been rather "stuck" on the topic of the Christmas bulb planting, but I have news to share that I think you will want to see.


Within the last 24 hours, the bloom actually opened on the Amaryllis.  I watered on Sunday evening and by yesterday morning, the bloom had partially opened.


Last night when I got home, the bloom was opened.  Not fully, but you can see that we are on our way to a full blooming Amaryllis.  Quite obviously, the bulb packers got hold of a bunch of red and white bulbs and placed them into the boxes marked as "white" Amaryllis.  It seems sort of like a comedy of errors that is reminiscent of Lucy and Ethel packing chocolate bon bons on the assembly line in a favorite episode of "I Love Lucy", but it makes no difference.  Once it is in full bloom it will be magnificent.  Christmas is two weeks away from today, so the bloom might be starting to fade a little by then.  It's OK.  It is hard to predict the bloom on these.  I have planted them earlier in the season and they did not bloom until after the new year.  This year I planted later and it has already bloomed.  They are lovely in the Christmas decor anytime during the season.  We still have the Paperwhites to look forward to.  I hope you have equal success with your Amaryllis this year.

No comments

A Topiary on the Dresser

I bought this rattan candle holder several years ago, I believe from World Market.  It was an impulse buy.  I was not shopping for rattan ca...

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig