A New Boxwood Wreath for the Door

I think it is safe to say at this point that I am a huge fan of boxwood.  They were proliferate in the landscape at Crest Avenue and I have incorporated preserved boxwood throughout the apartment.


I thought it was time for a new wreath for the door and I wanted boxwood, but I did not necessarily want cut boxwood.  Cut boxwood will only last for so long and I wanted something that would last for a few years.  I found this incredibly beautiful faux boxwood wreath and fell in love with it instantly.


I decided I would hang the wreath on the inside of my front door so that I could enjoy it throughout the season.  The property frowns on wreaths hung on the outward side of the doors in my building, and for good reason.  So I found a nice sturdy Command hook and started my project.


Here is the inside of the door entering my apartment.  We have these doorbells attached to each door.  There is a button on the outside of the door just under the peep hole that visitors press to alert you to their arrival.  These are definitely from a time gone by, but I love them.  You can see the peep hole in the center of this doorbell contraption.  It is covered.  There is a little lever on top of the box that you slide to the right and the cover over the hole slides back so you can see through.  Classic.


Although it is very faint, if you look closely you can see my pencil marks on the back of the door.  I wanted to make sure I get the hook lined up perfectly in the center.  You certainly would not want to do this with an ink pen.


You can see here that I used my pencil markings to get the Command hook lined up in just the right place on the door.  Once you get the hook in place and let it set for the requisite amount of time so it adheres, you can use a paper towel lightly misted with some spray cleaner to remove the pencil marks from the door.


Here, a longer view from down the hallway.  You can see that the hook is exactly where it should be over the top of the doorbell.


I bought this pretty garland with ornaments in various shades of blue and silver because, ... well, I thought it was pretty.  My initial intent was to intertwine this with greenery and place it on top of the wrought iron railing between the dining area and the living room, but in the end, I changed my mind.  I ended up cutting some of the ornaments off of the common vine and using them as decorations on the new wreath.


I took two pictures of the wreath with the decoration.  Here is the first picture from the right side.  You see that I did not overdo it.  Just a couple of clusters of ornaments adds some flair to this beautiful boxwood wreath.


The ornaments where attached to the garland vine with the plastic coated wire from the garland.  I cut them from the garland right at the vine so that I would have the full length of the plastic coated wire to wrap tightly onto the hidden structure of the wreath.  This way they are snugly in place and there is no continual fussing with them falling off the wreath each time the door is opened and closed.

This turned out better than I expected.  I never know when I get one of my visions whether it will turn out like it looks in my head, but this time it did.  After I was done with this, there were several ornaments left on the garland.  I'll show you next week what I did with those.

No comments

A Topiary on the Dresser

I bought this rattan candle holder several years ago, I believe from World Market.  It was an impulse buy.  I was not shopping for rattan ca...

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig