"Rubber Baby Buggy Bumpers", ... Or Something Like That

I know there may be some who are not familiar with the title of this post.  The term "Rubber Baby Buggy Bumpers" is a tongue twister that was popular in my youth.  You would challenge one or several people to repeat it say, ten times, and the person who successfully repeated it without getting it twisted, won.  For an added challenge, you may be asked to rub your stomach and pat your head while repeating the phrase.  Of course, this was the late fifties and sixties and there were a lot of drugs out there.  Let's move on.

Going through boxes recently, I found this pretty glass fluted bowl in a black metal stand.  The stand was dusty and the bowl was dull and dirty.  So I set about cleaning it up and found that I had a wonderful new bowl in which to store fruits and vegetables.  Read on.


Here it is, all cleaned up, filled with lemons and limes and onions.  It looked so nice on this narrow granite shelf which is right beside the stairs leading to the basement.  But, the metal legs of the frame sitting on the granite were a source for concern.  Very slippery.  I could see this taking a flying leap at some point.  I had to fix this problem.


I removed the glass insert and set it in the small bar sink.  Then I turned the frame upside down.


A trip to my toolbox revealed these wonderful little rubber bumpers.  This was exactly what I needed.


The bumpers are self adhesive.  I just removed them from the protective backing and then applied them to the bottom of each of the metal legs.


I "eyeballed" it, trying to get each bumper at the apex of each of the three legs.  After each leg had a bumper, I turned the frame over, placed the bowl with the fruits and veggies back in, and placed it back on the ledge.


And there you have it.  Now it is VERY secure.  It is not moving unless it is hit with great force.  So now we have a beautiful bowl, which we recycled from an abandoned box.  It will serve a valuable purpose in our kitchen for many years.

If you are downsizing, as we are, and you find something like this and you can make it work in your home, by all means salvage it.  But if you find an item that is no longer useful, that you know you will never use again, take it to Goodwill or The Salvation Army.  Someone can use it.  Of course, if you find things that are just junk, put them out for big trash day!  Downsizing and cleaning out is good for the soul.

A Topiary on the Dresser

I bought this rattan candle holder several years ago, I believe from World Market.  It was an impulse buy.  I was not shopping for rattan ca...

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig