The Earth Boxes, The Vegetables, The Purple Haze Grass

As we have discussed in previous posts, the Earth Box garden did not do well this year.  After talking to several people who planted gardens this year, I have found that many did not do well.  We had a lot of rain early in the season which saturated the ground.  That period was followed by a period of overcast days.  The root systems were waterlogged and there was no brilliant sunshine for weeks to dry out the soil.  So yields have been small and some of our plantings just did not make it.


Fortunately, I was able to harvest a couple of smallish peppers on a recent visit to the Earth Boxes.


I planted what I expected to be wonderful orange bell peppers and cantaloupe in the same box.  I got a couple orange bells as you see above.


The cantaloupe, which were doing well in the very beginning, just shriveled and died.


I decided that the boxes which held dead plantings should just be cleared out and that we would plant something else in them for the remainder of the season.  Of course, you cannot find vegetable plants at this time of the year, as if I wanted them.  So I decided we would change things up altogether.


I ran over to Lowe's Garden Center and found these beautiful purple fountain grasses for $3.96 each. As they mature they will send up wonderful soft, fuzzy-like blooms.


These grasses are quite showy in the landscape and are quite popular with landscape artists.  They are perennial and require little maintenance once they are established.  Fully mature you can expect a plant 5' x 5' in dimension.  They are hardy in zone 9 only, but can be considered perennial in zones 7-8 if given adequate protection from frost.


I think they are really beautiful in the Earth Boxes.  At full maturity I can see them offering a wonderful, flowing privacy screen along this side of the house.  If they become too unruly, then we will simply transplant them in the yard.  But I am looking forward to working with them to see what we end up with.

As for the other boxes, it is likely we will get a few more tomatoes.  The strawberry plants held up well, so we will hopefully have strawberries in the spring.  I will add additional grasses once the tomato plants reach their end.

A Topiary on the Dresser

I bought this rattan candle holder several years ago, I believe from World Market.  It was an impulse buy.  I was not shopping for rattan ca...

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig