We Transplanted the Lavendar

If you remember, last week we talked about the lavender plant we found in a pot that was in need of some attention. To refresh your memory, read below.


"In another nearby pot, I found this sad and bedraggled plant which was most unhappy.  At first glance I could not figure out what it was."


"But upon closer inspection I discovered it was lavendar.  Beautiful fragrant lavender.  Clearly it was not happy in this rather shady spot, under a tree in the front yard.  So I set about digging it out of the pot.  It was severely root-bound.  It needed to be extricated from this pot.  Whether it was unhappy in a shady spot or not.  It needed to be replanted.  Either in a larger pot or in the ground."
____________________________________________________________________________

Moving on now to the rescue of this beautiful plant!
____________________________________________________________________________


We found a spot in the back yard next to this lovely stone walkway we laid many years ago.  On the right side of the picture there is a bare spot where we planted the lavender.  This is a sunny spot, so I think it will work well.


I set about digging the hole for the transplant.  I dug deep so that I could add some good quality garden soil in the bottom of the hole to stimulate root growth.


You will want to dig the hole large enough so that the entire root ball is completely submerged.


Here is a better look at the transplant.  You want to make sure the hole is plenty large enough so that there is room to add a good quality soil.


I went with Sta-Green Flower and Vegetable Garden Soil this time.  Just read the bag for all the information you need.  "Helps improve soil aeration, drainage and root development for beautiful flowers and delicious vegetables."  I will expect great things from our lavender next year since we chose this soil for the planting.


A little soil in the bottom of the hole first.  Then we placed the lavender and poured about 1/2 of the bag of soil over the root-ball.


I grabbed the top of the lavender and "shook" it up and down and few times to allow the potting soil to settle into the hole and around the roots.  Then I poured the other half of the bag over it and, again, shook the plant vertically to move the soil down into the hole and around the root-ball.


Finally, I tamped the soil in around the plant by pressing down firmly with the sole of my shoe.


Tamp the soil down all around the plant, but not too much.  Then water.  In a couple weeks, your transplant should be doing quite well.

A word of advice.  When transplanting, make sure to buy a good quality garden soil to fill around the root ball.  The soil that I dug out was saturated with water.  If I had used that soil to fill the hole after placing the lavender, it would have suffocated the roots and the plant would likely have died. Adding the Sta-Green soil will provide the nutrients and aeration this plant needs to flourish.

A Topiary on the Dresser

I bought this rattan candle holder several years ago, I believe from World Market.  It was an impulse buy.  I was not shopping for rattan ca...

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig