Fall Planting

Feeling much better. Lots of Alka Seltzer Plus and Airborne Gummies and I seem to have fought off the head cold.

These are quite delicious. A little tart, but manageable. I think I will keep a bottle of these in my desk for the duration of the fall and winter. It can't hurt.

As most of you already know, fall is the perfect season for planting. Actually, I think it is a better time to plant than the spring. Cool nights and temperate days. So I took advantage of the season and planted a few things in the garden.  Take a look.


A few weeks ago, I bought three Blue Rug Junipers from one of the big box home retailers. The weather has been spectacular for the past week, so I decided it was time to get them in the ground. I decided this little spot in the holly/pyracantha garden would be the perfect spot.


I temporarily staged the shrubs, still in their containers, where I thought they would work best in this location.


Then, using a post hold digger. I set about digging three holes for each.


I removed each from their plastic containers, loosened the soil around the roots to allow air and nutrients to be absorbed, and planted them snuggly in the ground. A plastic plant tag is handy to remind me of exactly what I planted.


In the same garden, but on the opposite end, I planted these beautiful tulip bulbs.


Unfortunately, I lost two small holly's due to the drought this summer. So I removed them and used the holes as a receptacle for the tulip bulbs.


First thing to do was to add a little of this wonderful rich, black garden soil as a good base.


Then, in with the bulbs. The first group was this wonderful batch of Claudia tulips.  I love the fluted petals.  Remember, pointed sides up when planting bulbs!


Then, my very favorite tulip - the Parrot blend. These are really spectacular in full bloom.


To mark everything I planted for identification later on, I used these handy little plastic spikes. I found these on Amazon.com. You get something like a hundred of them for two dollars. They are perfect for use in the garden. Or in pots.


I used a permanent marker to write out the name of each of the type of tulips I planted.


Then placed the spikes in the ground.


And again for the parrot tulips. After I was done planting I watered thoroughly. Using the permanent marker on these worked beautifully. The water had positively no effect on the ink.

It is time to start planting bulbs in the mid-Atlantic. We can plant September - November. Bulbs should be out every where at this time. Give them a try. Plant now and in the spring you will have beautiful color in your gardens.



A Topiary on the Dresser

I bought this rattan candle holder several years ago, I believe from World Market.  It was an impulse buy.  I was not shopping for rattan ca...

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig