We are Decorating for Halloween

Today is October third, ... already. For me, this is when the holiday season begins. Once we turn the calendar page to October, it's on. Preparations for Halloween begin now. I will decorate inside first and then move to the outdoors as the end of the month approaches. Pumpkins are generally carved the weekend before Halloween. That gives us time to enjoy them before All Hallows' Eve.

My friend Judy has already put out her Halloween decorations which are too cute. See below.


Is this the cutest display you have ever seen? Judy is so creative. And in the spring and summer she has the most wonderful gardens with all of this beautiful Talavera pottery.


If you are wondering the origin of these pieces, Judy offered this information:
"They range from Jim Shore cats and Jenene Mortimer witches to my Talavera Day of the Dead collection.
Oh and a few Hallmark black metal cats and ceramic pieces, ... from Bristol Farms collected years ago".
We want to send a big "THANK YOU" to Judy for allowing us to use these pictures in our post today.


This is our mantel at Crest Avenue.  We have taken a decidedly darker theme, using blacks and whites to decorate for the holiday. These pieces came from Target. They usually have quite a selection of Halloween decor and at good prices.


On the opposite end of the mantel, this cute village in black. These are made of balsa wood, so they are quite sturdy. I found that three of them made a nice 3-D effect. It also gave me room to illuminate the windows with small battery-powered votives placed behind each house.


The votives flicker as if they were a real flame, so it gives an eery look through the windows.


I placed one of the votives purposefully so it could be seen through the window. It gives the whole scene a more realistic look. It is difficult to fully appreciate how cute this is in these pictures since it is so dark. But believe me, it is quite dramatic. The stone around the fireplace adds a nice dimension when you peer through the lighted windows. It kind of reminds me of the popular tv drama when I was growing up called "Dark Shadows" which ran from 1966-1971. Some of my readers will remember the show. If you would like to take a trip down memory lane, or, if you are too young to remember and would like some background on this soap opera, click here to be taken to the Wikipedia site which gives the history of the show.

It is not too early to be thinking about your Halloween theme for 2016. Let me know what you come up with.


A Topiary on the Dresser

I bought this rattan candle holder several years ago, I believe from World Market.  It was an impulse buy.  I was not shopping for rattan ca...

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig