Hanging the Christmas Flag

I was not a fan of the flag pole mounted on the house. It just did not grab me in that location. It was nearly impossible to see it unless you were in the front yard. It was mounted too low. It was just off. So I decided to move it to a tree in the front yard. I think I like this better. I think I do. I'm going to live with it through the holidays and reassess in the spring. But for right now, this is what I have done.


This is the new location of the flag pole in the front yard. I affixed the bracket to the side of this ivy covered sweet gum tree. I'm going to live with this for a while and see if I still like it in the spring.


The location of the flag on the side of the house was too low. I could have moved it higher but I did not want to drill more holes in the brick and mortar. So I moved it here which was relatively simple to do. A six foot step ladder was the first tool I needed for this project.


And some wood screws. The screws that came with the flag pole bracket were not long enough for this application.


I pulled away some of the ivy to expose the tree trunk. Then I placed the bracket and set about drilling pilot holes for the screws.


Here, the bracket fully secured to the tree trunk, I was ready to fasten the flag pole in place and send out Merry Christmas wishes to all who pass by Crest Avenue. I used the lower portion of the bracket so the flag would hang vertically. The top part of the bracket puts the flag at a 45 degree angle which is pretty if you are hanging the American flag. But for decorative flags, you will want to use the lower portion and have the flag hang flat so everyone can see the greeting.


After completing the flag hanging, I put out food for our feathered friends. I keep the feeders well stocked during the winter months. I also put out suet cakes. For more information on suet and how to make your own, visit http://birding.about.com/od/Foods/fl/Winter-Bird-Suet.htm by Melissa Mayntz. She has some really good information that I am certain you will enjoy reading.



A Topiary on the Dresser

I bought this rattan candle holder several years ago, I believe from World Market.  It was an impulse buy.  I was not shopping for rattan ca...

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig