A Happy Birthday Greeting to my Sister

As you recall, we celebrated my sister's birthday during the Christmas holiday on Sunday.  She was born on the 22nd, so she was not far from the day of the blessed birth.  I enjoy shopping for her birthday.  She received a gift bag full of goodies.  But the card this year was just too wonderful not to post about.  So here goes.


This is a Signature Hallmark card.  You have seen them in high end boutiques or even at Target or Whole Foods. They are a little more expensive than your standard Hallmark greeting card, but in most cases well worth it.  A lot of time and energy goes into making these cards.  When I saw this "Eat Cake" on cranberry foil card stock, I couldn't resist.


The inscription I thought was perfect.  "If Not Today, When??"  Exactly.  I signed it with my childhood nickname.  We can talk about that in a later post.


I always print the year the card is given on the reverse side of every card.  And when I receive cards, I do the same.  You will appreciate this when you are going through your box of cards ten years from now.  You will be able to relate the card back to a specific time in your life.


Foil lined envelopes are always a nice touch.  I do not go in search of them, but if the card I like happens to have a foil lined envelope, all the better.

In with the card, face up toward the back side of the envelope.  You always place a greeting card in an envelope face up toward the back side of the envelope.


This year I decided to have a little fun with her.  My sister's name is Gwen.  When we were growing up, there was a friend of the family who could not pronounce her name correctly and she called her "Grin."  So, I addressed her card this year to Grin.  Then I added all the Happy Birthday's in different fonts.  I used an Avery #5664 clear label, sized 3-1/3" x 4".  I centered her name in the middle and then added all the Happy Birthday greetings.  It turned out better than I expected.


Since this card is a little heavier than most, the envelope indicated that it may require extra postage. Since I was not sending the card through the U.S. Postal Service but was, indeed, hand delivering it to my sister, postage in any amount was not a concern.  Still, I did not want to hand over the card in an envelope with a message concerning postage in the upper right corner.


So, I found my birthday stickers.  You can pick them up at CVS.  I've had these for a few years and as you can see I have used them a few times to decorate an envelope or two.


I chose this multi-tiered cake sticker and placed it over the postage warning.  I intentionally placed it so the candle was above the top of the envelope.  It gives a sort of 3D effect.


Finally, the card, ready to be presented.  This was a fun project and one that looked just as I had envisioned in the end.  Happy birthday sister, and many more!

A Topiary on the Dresser

I bought this rattan candle holder several years ago, I believe from World Market.  It was an impulse buy.  I was not shopping for rattan ca...

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig