An "Umph!" to Flavored Cream Cheese

We are big fans of Philadelphia Cream Cheese.  The tried and true original plain cream cheese cannot be beat.  We have tried others brands but have found that they are not quite the same as Philadelphia brand.  So we always use the original.


We keep the refrigerator at Dewey Street well stocked with a variety of flavors.  A toasted bagel with a little cream cheese in the morning is wonderful.  If you are diabetic, like me, then half of a bagel for you.  But the cream cheese is very low in carbs and sugar, so enjoy.  We like the flavored cream cheeses too.  Above we have plain, roasted pecan and honey, bacon, and chives and onions.


The chive and onion is a favorite,  However, I felt there was an overabundance of chives and too few onions for my taste.  So I decided to bump up the onion.  Read on to see what I did.


I removed the chive and onion container from the refrigerator and found a glass bowl.


Using a small spatula, I transferred the contents of the cream cheese container to the glass bowl.


I sliced an average sized yellow onion in half.  I used a yellow onion because that was what I had on hand.  If you would prefer, you could use any type of onion you like - red onion, vidalia, spring onions.  Whatever you like.  I removed the skin and then sliced the onion half into several slices.


I then turned the board and sliced perpendicular to the first slices.  The onion will fall apart at this point and you determine how large or small you would like it diced.  On the left is how the onion looked after I cut it on the grid.  On the right you see how I refined the cut into a small dice.  As difficult as it may be, I prefer to dice onion by hand.  I have never found a dicer or food processor that cuts them or dices them to my satisfaction.  They just make onion mush.


I was looking for about 1/4 cup of diced onion for this project.  I would call this measurement a "scant" 1/4 cup.  You do not have to pack the measuring cup with diced onion.  Unless, of course, you are a true fan in which case you may even want to consider adding 1/3 cup of diced onion.  For me, 1/4 cup was fine.


Transfer the 1/4 cup of freshly diced onion to the bowl containing the chive and onion cream cheese which you previously removed from the container.


Using a large spoon, thoroughly combine the freshly diced onion into the chive and onion cream cheese until fully incorporated.  Use an "under and over" method with your spoon to make sure you have it fully combined.  Sort of a "folding" action like you would use when making a souffle.



Once you are satisfied that the onion is fully incorporated, transfer the mixture back into the original tub and smooth.


Place the lid back on the container and return to the refrigerator to preserve.  Try to use this within a week from the day you make.  It is delicious.  I'm certain you will be receiving comments from the next person who uses the chive and onion spread.  It is fantastic.  I'm not suggesting that it was bad to begin with.  I just wanted more onion and for me, this did the trick.  I hope you will try it.  For very little effort and time, you really do get a nice upgrade to an already wonderful food.





No comments

A Topiary on the Dresser

I bought this rattan candle holder several years ago, I believe from World Market.  It was an impulse buy.  I was not shopping for rattan ca...

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig