The Ballpoint Pen Dilemma

A quick post this morning with a tip on handling an issue I think we all deal with frequently.


Above, your standard issue blue ballpoint pen found in the office setting throughout the country.  (I only use blue ink pens, but more on that later.)  The problem with these pens is the ink flow.  For reasons unknown to me, it does not always stay at the tip of the pen whether you store it tip side down or tip side up.  When you remove the cap and begin to write, the first letter or two is unintelligible.  So you have to go back over it with the pen which is not a good look.


One practice I have utilized for several years is to store my ink pens flat.  This does not resolve the problem entirely, but the ink is at least somewhere near the tip.  I do not store them in pencil cups.  I am not going to take the time during the day or in the evening to make sure all the pens are in the cup, tip side down.  It does not resolve the problem of them not writing when you first use them the next day anyway.


So, to resolve the problem, I took a sheet from my post-it note holder and placed it on my desktop. The sticky at the top holds it in place.


Every time I need to use an ink pen, I make a few circles on the post-it note sheet on my desk.  It gets the ink flowing and then I can go ahead with entries in my daily calendar or whatever I am working on.

Of course, you could always buy an expensive ink pen which would alleviate this problem altogether. But most of us are not going to do that.  We are going to use the ink pens provided by our employer.

Just a quick example of what you can do to fix the problem of working with inferior ink pens.  That's what we are all about here.  Making life easier in small and big ways!






No comments

A Topiary on the Dresser

I bought this rattan candle holder several years ago, I believe from World Market.  It was an impulse buy.  I was not shopping for rattan ca...

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig