Glass Table Tops

I had a dilemma when I set up the bed in the new apartment and that was the amount of space on each side of the bed for bedside tables.  The space was very limited.  So I had to find appropriately sized tables for either side of the bed.  After quite a bit of research I found a set of tables that would work.  The width was perfect.  That was the most challenging of the dimensions.  Depth and height were of less importance.  Once I had the correct width I ordered the tables and they were delivered very quickly.  The tables I purchased were considerably less expensive than what I originally planned to spend, which was a good thing.  However, the tables were not of the same quality as some I might have preferred.  I was concerned that the tops would easily show wear, so I decided to protect the tops by placing tempered glass on each.  Take a look at how this turned out.

Visit them at www.dullesglass.com
I ordered the cut glass from a local company, Dulles Glass in Manassas, VA.  They have been in business for more than 40 years, so I trusted they would get the order right.  I was not disappointed.  I opted to pick up my glass rather than have it shipped.


Once all the packing was removed I found my two sheets of tempered glass snugly secured together.


These cork squares placed in a random pattern on the glass were an excellent idea to help secure them in the box.  The plastic corner pieces also a great way to prevent chipped corners.


Here is one of the beside tables before laying the glass top in place.  As you see, the tables are simple, straight lines.  Very much my style.  I want these to last a good long time, so I think the glass tops will serve a valuable purpose and also add a little elegance to two otherwise plain tables.


First, before doing anything else, I found my pack of self-stick protectors.  This variety pack is especially nice because it has quite an assortment of sizes and material.  It includes both felt and rubber protectors and in varying diameters and thicknesses.  A good investment in any household.


For this project, I used the largest diameter, thinnest, clear rubber protectors.  You will see more on this as we make our way through this post.


Here we are with the first glass top in place.  Notice the clear protectors in each corner to raise the glass off the tabletop just a fraction.  Not only do these keep the glass from sliding around on the tabletop and potentially scratching it, but they help hold the glass in place.


I washed these glass tops in the kitchen sink, both sides, in hot, soapy water and then dried them with a white terrycloth towel.  That is the only way to get them perfectly spot free.  After they were cleaned and dried I only handled them with a clean dry towel in each hand.  The edges are slightly beveled and the corners gently rounded for safety.  The bevel gives the glass a nice look. 


The other bedside table with the Echo Spot.  These glass tops fit perfectly.  I could not have been more pleased with how this project turned out.  Dulles Glass gets 5-Stars from At Home with John Newman for the excellent job they did on these tabletops and their great customer service.  Not every company gets that recognition.  If you need glass tops cut for your home, give them a call or order online.  I ordered online and it was a breeze.  There is a link to their site above, but I'll put another link here.

No comments

A Topiary on the Dresser

I bought this rattan candle holder several years ago, I believe from World Market.  It was an impulse buy.  I was not shopping for rattan ca...

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig