An Areca Palm for the Apartment

Houseplants are fun to keep, especially when you live in an apartment.  Having houseplants keeps my hands in the soil; they add a nice look to the decor, and they clean the air, which can be particularly stale in a large apartment building.  They take a little work, but I find the end results to be very rewarding.  I decided I needed a palm tree in the decor, so I found a beautiful palm and a lovely pot


First to the pot.  This beautiful pot from Allen & Roth came from Lowe's, which coincidentally, is where I got the palm.


Not only is this a really beautiful pot, but it can be used inside the house or outdoors.  Frost resistant, fade resistant and it comes with a drainage hole, if you want to use that.  I will not.  I will fill the bottom of the planter with pea gravel and then add the best grade of potting soil available for our palm tree transplant.


Here is our Areca Palm in our lovely new pot.  This palm is 6' in height, so it is already pretty impressive.  As time goes by the height could reach as much as 20', however, I will keep this one at around 8'.



Another picture in silhouette.  This is an especially impressive species of palm very well suited to living indoors.  They are dramatic in the interior landscape and take very little care.

Caring for your Areca Palm.

Grow the areca palm in a container that is at least twice as big as the root ball.  The roots need room to grow.

Use a well draining soil.  A heavy soil will not drain properly and the palm may suffer root rot.

Water with bottled water.  Areca palms do not like water which contains any types of salts or minerals.  This will cause leaf browning and heavy pruning to remove the dead leaves.

Keep the soil moist but not sopping wet.  Watering once per week should do it for an indoor Areca palm.  You can fertilize weekly with a water soluble fertilizer like Miracle Gro or you can use the little spikes from Jobe's for ferns & palms.


These are a constant release method and will be replaced every 3 months.

Place the palm in an area that receives high light.  I am lucky that my apartment faces north - maybe a smidge northeast.  There is lots of light during the day but not direct morning light from the east every morning.  It's best to keep the palm in an area of high light, but not direct sunlight.

Prune any yellow or dead leaves or branches right away, and if you follow these guidelines, you should enjoy a healthy palm tree for many years.

No comments

A Topiary on the Dresser

I bought this rattan candle holder several years ago, I believe from World Market.  It was an impulse buy.  I was not shopping for rattan ca...

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig