New Timers in a New Kitchen

Since I am in a new kitchen, I thought it was time for new kitchen timers.  I found these online, @ Amazon, and decided to give them a try.  My first dish in the new apartment was Easy Spaghetti Pie.  This recipe I named "Easy" Spaghetti Pie because I have two recipes for this dish.  The other is quite involved and takes a while to make.  Like Sophia's Lasagne Al Forno on The Golden Girls.  Dorothy said that took 16 hours to make to which Sophia responded, "18 hours".   We'll talk more about Easy Spaghetti Pie later, but right now we're going to discuss the new timers.


I loved the box that these timers came in.  Simple.  Just an image of the timers in silver outline.  They come  from a company called MROTY.  I know positively nothing about this company.  I tried looking them up online, first with a Bing search and then with a Google search.  Nothing.  I don't know if that is good or bad.  I suspect they are just one of thousands of companies who sell their wares through Amazon.


I was pleasantly surprised to see that they included two "AAA" batteries in the box, one for each timer.  While these may not be the longest lasting batteries, they will do to get things set up and running until we can install a better quality, long-lasting battery in each time.


And finally, here they are.  The screens are nice and large on these timers, which is good for someone who is advancing in age a great deal faster than he would like.  I also like the matte finish on the front and on the set buttons themselves.  No fingerprints and just an overall nice look.  The "ST/SP" button is used to set the time.  Press it for 3 seconds, then use "M" to set the hour and "S" to set the minutes.  They can be set for 12 hour or 24 hour which is more commonly know as "military time".


Another nice feature of these timers is that they have a pull-out stand if you prefer to set them on the counter while you are cooking.  They also have a set of three very sturdy magnets.  I do not like a lot of "magnetized doodads" hanging on my refrigerator, but these are so nice looking, I do not mind them on the side of the refrigerator.


Here, one of the timers sitting on the counter-top with the stand .  Very nice.


One "AAA" battery will do the job.  I think we can safely say from the name on the battery that these items are not produced and assembled in the United States.


When you first put the battery in place, they display "12:00 a.m."


A few presses of the programming buttons as described above and the time is very easily set.


In the box there were these two hangers which could easily slip into a hook on the back of each timer.  SEE below.


Both of these hangers were summarily discarded.  I cannot ever imagine a time when I would use these timers in any way that would necessitate hanging them on anything.  These detracted for the look, so they are gone.


Here they are on the side of my refrigerator.  As I said earlier, the magnets are quite strong, so they stay in place on this corner of the refrigerator.  This area is right next to the freezer door and they face into the kitchen so they cannot be seen by anyone, really, other than myself.  I may move them toward the rear of the refrigerator in a more secluded area before everything is said and done.

All this talk of kitchen timers may have you saying, "why on earth does he need kitchen timers.  Doesn't he have a smart phone with a timer?"  Indeed I do.  And I use it in the kitchen and for other timing reminders.  But sometimes, especially in the kitchen, I have two or even three things going at once, all of which needs to be on a timer.  These are a nice addition to the kitchen and a handy helper to any chef.  Yes our smartphones have replaced many things in our everyday lives, but I still need at least a couple additional kitchen timers.  These are easy to set and they are nice looking.  A good purchase.

No comments

A Topiary on the Dresser

I bought this rattan candle holder several years ago, I believe from World Market.  It was an impulse buy.  I was not shopping for rattan ca...

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig