A New Oven Thermometer

I always like to keep an oven thermometer in whatever oven I am using.  The dial, or the read-out on the digital display, whichever your oven has, certainly is a guide to use when setting the oven, but a thermometer actually in the oven cannot be beat for supreme accuracy.  I just bought a new one.  Take a look.


As you can see, this is a large dial with nice large numbers.  If I was cooking and writing a blog and in my twenties, this might not be as much of a necessity.  But since that is not the case, we now have a large 3" thermometer which is easy to see.


Of course, as with most oven thermometers, there is a hook on top which makes it easy to hang the thermometer from the oven rack.


There is a stand on the thermometer also, but it is not wide enough to allow it to sit on the oven racks.


Reynolds Co. makes oven liners which are designed specifically to place in the bottom of the oven to catch any spills when baking.  I searched locally for three days to find them and came home empty handed.  Finally I decided that a pack of two of these Reynolds cookie sheets would work.  I have never used these for cookies but I suppose they work.  They are still in the stores.  This pack came with two sheets and a sheet of parchment for each.  I must admit I'm intrigued.  Maybe I'll use one of them to make cookies and we'll see how they turn out.


Here the aluminum cookie sheet with the parchment paper in place.  I left the parchment in place.


Now we have a drip tray for the oven and a place to sit the oven thermometer.


I decided we needed to test out the thermometer, so I put together a quick casserole and set the oven to 350 degrees.


The cookie sheet/drip tray in place and the thermometer placed to the rear out of the way, I placed the casserole inside the oven and baked it for 30 minutes.


The casserole turned out nicely and we will talk more about this recipe in the coming weeks.  It's very good but it needs a few tweaks.  I don't want to give it to you until it is perfect.

So, if you are so inclined, pick up an oven thermometer just as a backup check on the actual temperature inside your oven.  Even if you have a high-end oven.  It cannot hurt to have a second check on the internal temperature.

No comments

A Topiary on the Dresser

I bought this rattan candle holder several years ago, I believe from World Market.  It was an impulse buy.  I was not shopping for rattan ca...

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig