I Planted Cosmos

I no longer have a yard in which to plant spring flowers.  I also no longer have a yard which requires constant maintenance all year long, even here in the mid-Atlantic.  I am relegated to pot plantings.  Not "pot" in the "Reefer Madness" sense.  I am not starting a cannabis farm.  I mean "pot" plantings - as in clay pots or any style pot that I think is attractive.  You will remember our planting of paper whites last fall.  They grew without abandon - and then one lone flower appeared for a few days and that was that.  I decided that I enjoyed the greenery as much as anything, so I cut them back and I am still enjoying the greens.  I was in Lowe's recently and picked up a packet of Cosmos.  All of the big box store have out their displays of seed packets since this is the time of year to get these started.

As you see above, cosmos are very colorful, dainty flowers that make a wonderful little cutting garden.  I decided we would try them in the same pot with the paper whites.


Here we have our paper white stems which I have been tending to on a regular basis.  I keep them watered, but not sopping wet.  I trim them when they start to get too long and shaggy.  I like the way they have grown in a twisted column.  That adds a nice look, so I would do nothing to change that.


I simply sprinkled the cosmos seeds from the packet on top of the soil in the pot and all around the paper white bulbs.  I gave the pot a hearty drink of room temperature water.  Let's see what happens with these seeds.  They really should be pushed under the soil and then covered with soil.  I'll do that later today.  Hopefully, with any luck, we'll have a few sprouts over the coming weeks.

No comments

A Topiary on the Dresser

I bought this rattan candle holder several years ago, I believe from World Market.  It was an impulse buy.  I was not shopping for rattan ca...

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig