A Fancy Fruit Bowl

I love apartment living.  I always have, even when I was young and lived in an apartment more out of necessity than anything else because it was affordable.  The apartment I have now is not exactly in an area of the city that would be considered "affordable", but it works perfectly for me and Baxter.  One of the main challenges in apartment living is space, or rather, the lack of space.  You must get creative and utilize every square inch to the max and I think I have done that.  There will be iterations (: a procedure in which repetition of a sequence of operations yields results successively closer to a desired result) from time to time, but that's what makes the whole process fun.

Most of us keep a fruit bowl somewhere in the kitchen/dining area.  There are a multitude to choose from.  I looked at several but decided to hold off until I got a few more boxes unpacked because I thought I might already have one or have something that might work.  It ended up that I did.  Not your traditional fruit bowl, but it works.


And here it is.  This is the "Atlas" Crystal Bowl from Tiffany & Co. that I purchased back in 2000.  The bowl is 10.0"W x 9.0"H which makes it the perfect size for my kitchen.  This bowl is designed with ribbed sides that graduate up and then Roman numerals at the rim.  I could not find a suitable spot for this bowl anywhere in the apartment until I tried it here and decided this is where it would stay.


Here, from above, you see I have lemons and golden kiwi fruit.  Lemons play a big part in my life.  I use lemon juice in almost everything I make.  I even drink fresh squeezed lemon juice in a little room temperature seltzer water everyday for good health and to help maintain my weight.  The golden kiwi's are divine.  If you have not tried them, you must.  I like the green kiwi's, but the golden's are just delicious.  I prefer them over the green.  They have a milder flavor.  I keep kiwi in the bowl all the time and when they are available, I keep the golden on hand.


The area we are discussing today is on top of the refrigerator.  You can see from these pictures that the refrigerator slides partially under the wall cabinets on this wall, but the top is not completely covered by the cabinets.  I decided that this was another flat surface that could be put to good use.


I picked up this short-sided rustic tray that fit the refrigerator top perfectly.  There was enough room on the tray to fit the fruit bowl and a few bottles of wine.  I know that wine is traditionally stored lying on its side so that the cork stays wet, but that will not work for me, so I am storing them upright.



I am sure you have noticed in some of the pictures the "red" object sitting in the tray.  There are actually two red objects that are wine "related", so that is why they are there.  The shorter of the two is a foil cutter which makes a clean cut around the foil overwrap on a bottle of wine.  The taller item is an aerator and pouring spout for the bottle.  I love the design and convenience of both of these items.  Thank you darling Dee Dee for giving me these as gifts last Christmas.


A final look.  You can see the slatted bottom of the tray in this picture.  I liked this tray very much.  The combination of the rustic tray with the elegance of the crystal bowl from Tiffany I thought was a perfect match.  And, of course, there are these delicious Apothic wines to talk about.  I have had the Apothic Red and it is quite delicious.  I have not tried the Apothic Brew that is infused with cold coffee.  I should try that one very soon to see if I like it and if I do, I will pick up several more bottles to have on hand for guests.

Back to the opening of this post, I chose to go back to apartment life because the maintenance on Crest Avenue had become more than I was willing to endure, both physically and financially.  When I bought Crest Avenue in 2001, I was still young and had plenty of steam and I looked forward to every renovation project, of which there were many.  Nearly 20 years later, everything had changed.  It was time to simplify my life, so that is what I did.  I have not regretted that choice for a single day. 

No comments

A Topiary on the Dresser

I bought this rattan candle holder several years ago, I believe from World Market.  It was an impulse buy.  I was not shopping for rattan ca...

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig