Simple Scallops

Who doesn't love scallops?  Honestly, I don't think I have ever met anyone who has told me they don't like scallops.  I adore them.  I have them, ... somewhat often.  Once a week?  No.  Once every couple weeks.  Yes.  I needed or wanted a quick way to prepare them and I experimented with several different cooking methods until I came up with the one I will share with you today.  This is very simple and straightforward and it produces the most delicious scallops each and every time.

We are using Sea Scallops in today's recipe as opposed to Bay Scallops.  Bay Scallops are smaller than Sea Scallops.
First, start with a hot pan.  Place the saute pan of your choice over a high flame and let the pan get very hot.  Then remove the pan from the flame and drizzle about three tablespoons of olive oil directly into the pan.  If the oil smokes, your pan is hot enough.  With the pan still off the flame, add in the scallops.  Make sure they are dry.  Dry them thoroughly in paper toweling before adding them to the pan.  If you do not thoroughly dry them, then they will only steam in the pan and you will not get the desired color and searing that we are looking for in this recipe.  Set a timer for 5 minutes and let the scallops sear in the olive oil.


When the timer goes off, remove the pan from the flame and carefully turn over each scallop.  Place the pan back on the flame and continue searing the other sides for an additional 5 minutes.


After turning the scallops and returning them to the flame, I dropped in a wedge of lemon and let it warm for just a little while.  Then I squeezed this wedge over the scallops in the pan.


When the scallops were finished cooking on the other side, I carefully moved them to one side of the pan.


I added about two tablespoons of butter to the pan and let it melt completely.


Once the butter was melted, it was time to start moving the scallops into the melted butter for just a few seconds.


I bathed the scallops in groups of four or five in the melted butter for just a few seconds, then moved them to a plate.  I continued this method until all the scallops in the pan were lightly buttered.


Finally, I had a plate of sauteed scallops fit for a lovely dinner for one or two people.  For presentation, a light sprinkling of freshly snipped parsley could have been sprinkled on top, but since this time it was just me, I did not add anything.  They were divine.

I searched online for a recipe for preparing scallops before coming up with this way of preparing them on my own.  I was shocked at the recipes I found.  Shocked that they were so involved and contained so many ingredients.  I did not want all of those "ingredients" incorporated into my preparation.  I wanted the scallops as clean and fresh as possible and as natural as possible so I could taste the scallop.  I did not want the flavor hidden under layers of unnecessary ingredients added to the pan.  This scallop recipe is simple and easy to prepare and it will give you delicious sauteed scallops each and every time without giving you a headache with preparation.  I hope you will try this in your kitchen.

No comments

A Topiary on the Dresser

I bought this rattan candle holder several years ago, I believe from World Market.  It was an impulse buy.  I was not shopping for rattan ca...

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig