Under Kitchen Sink Organization

The cabinet under the kitchen sink can be, and often is, a melange of cleaning products and sponges and scrubbers that very quickly become unorganized and you lose track of exactly what is down there.  I recently decided it was time to bring some order to this area, so here is what I did.


Actually, I must admit, this area was not too bad under my sink.  I try to keep things as organized as possible throughout the apartment.  So this was not a terribly time consuming project for me.  Everything needed to be removed and the entire area needed to be wiped down with spray cleaner, which I did.

The bottle of Wesson oil?  I have no idea how that got there.  I suppose I ran out of room in the other cabinets and put it there with the intent of leaving it there temporarily until I could find space for it somewhere else.  That was removed.  Do not store cooking oil in the cabinet under the kitchen sink.


I removed everything and wiped down the bottom shelf.  This wonderful ribbed shelf protector was in place when I moved in.  It is very easy to clean and if there is ever a leak, the water will be captured on this protective liner rather than soaking into the wooden shelf and eventually destroying it.  Smart thinking from the apartment management team.  They are wonderful, by the way.


I have been doing some organization in other areas of the apartment and in doing so I ended up with these three wire mesh baskets that were replaced with other baskets, so I thought these would work perfectly under the kitchen sink.


And indeed they did.  Here we have several boxes of Affresh fizzies to keep the garbage disposal clean and fresh smelling, S.O.S. pads, those magic cleaning eraser sponges and ArmorAll Multi-Purpose spray cleaner all together in the large basket.  You may find the ArmorAll a strange addition, but it does a wonderful job of cleaning and restoring the shine to most any surface.


Here, in one of the smaller baskets, several bottles of Mop & Glo.  I love Mop & Glo.  I used it on the slate floor in the kitchen and the slate hearth in front of the fireplace at Crest Avenue and it does a magnificent job of cleaning and leaving your floors with a beautiful shine.


ArmorAll wipes, Easy-Off oven cleaner, a bottle of glass cleaner with vinegar and a bottle of Meyer's All Purpose Cleaner.  You know, Easy-Off Oven Cleaner not only cleans the walls of the inside of your oven.  If you have a fry pan or saute pan or any pan in the kitchen that is starting to look rather grungy on the bottom and nothing else is working, spray it with some Easy-Off and let it set for a while.  Works like magic.


I set the bottle of dishwashing liquid and the Food Grade Hydrogen Peroxide and spray bottle with the peroxide in-between the two smaller baskets.

Everything is nice and organized now and this project has made it easier to keep this area clean.  From time to time, I can simply remove these baskets, wipe down the bottom of the cabinet, and then place these back in rather than having to remove each item individually and then cleaning and trying to remember the placement of everything.

There are many different contraptions sold to help you bring organization to the cabinet under the sink, but you can do it with just a few of these inexpensive wire mesh baskets from Target.


No comments

A Topiary on the Dresser

I bought this rattan candle holder several years ago, I believe from World Market.  It was an impulse buy.  I was not shopping for rattan ca...

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig