Eco-Friendly Compostable Straws

I would not describe myself as one who "takes up causes."  I am not an activist by any stretch of the word.  However, I have become aware of the strangling effect all the plastic that we have dumped in the oceans is now having on marine life.  Disgraceful.  Who came up with the idea that dumping plastic waste into the ocean was a good idea?  And what about everyone else in the room in that meeting?  Nobody put their hand up and said they thought that was not a good idea?  All we can do now is try to clean it up and hopefully not dump any more in the ocean.  Most of you are aware of the plastic drinking straw ban that is becoming ever more popular.  It may be a small way to cut down on plastic consumption, but we have to start somewhere.  On a recent run through Walmart I found compostable straws.


I thought this was a great idea!  Someone came up with a way to make straws that look and feel like plastic straws, but they aren't.


I have not done any research on these to find out what kind of "renewable plant-based material" they are made from.  I just like the fact that I can use a straw that works and not feel guilty that it is going to end up killing some defenseless animal.  I do not like the wax coated paper straws.  They are just awful.  They very quickly start to disintegrate.  I'd rather no straw than one of those.  They are cute, but that's about all.


My morning cup of V8, or tomato juice (I keep both in the refrigerator at all times), with one of these compostable straws.  This was a good find.  It's certainly not the end of the world if I have to drink directly from a cup or glass, but it's nice to know that someone out there is thinking of a better way to manufacture something that we all use from time to time so that it is less harmful to the planet.  Maybe not so much less harmful to the planet but to the multitude of animals that we share it with.  If you are interested, this package of 100 straws was $1.97 so that's about two cents per straw.

No comments

A Topiary on the Dresser

I bought this rattan candle holder several years ago, I believe from World Market.  It was an impulse buy.  I was not shopping for rattan ca...

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig