A New Basket for the Hall Table

My initial idea was to place an orchid on this hall table that sits at the end of the entry hall when you enter the apartment.  I would still like to do that and I may add a small one at some point.  But after Baxter and I got settled in the apartment, I found that having a basket on this table to hold things that are essential to our everyday lives was more important.  I found a basket that I kept from Crest Avenue and have been using that these past few months.  The basket was small and eventually rather overloaded, so I decided we needed something a little larger.


This was the original basket.  As I said, it was getting a little crowded.  Since this is the first thing you see when you enter the apartment, I thought we could improve this look.


It was rather lost on this table.  This entry/hall table is quite long at nearly 48 inches, so as you can see, the basket I found that I have been using was not the right scale for this space.  Plus this basket has rounded corners.  I wanted a rectangular basket that was dyed in a color that would make the tabletop and fit the space better.


And I found this.  The color was just right.  The size was perfect and the shape was perfect.  I particularly like that this basket is high-sided.  That way I can place several things in here and they will still be out of eyesight.



My style of decor tends very much to mid-century modern and that is the theme throughout the apartment.  This basket is a bit of a diversion from that theme, so I think it brings some interest to the entire look.  While standing out, it strangely blends in as well.


Here, my wallet, sunglass case, watch, ring, a partially used roll of bathroom bags for Baxter (most essential), keys and Baxter's leash and harness.  These are the most important things to keeping our lives running smoothly and having them all in one place is imperative.  Having these things in a central location close to the front door is a necessity for me, but you could place an essentials basket like this anywhere it works best for you in your home.  A kitchen counter.  On a shelf in the mudroom.  Whatever works.  I purchased this basket from HomeGoods, but you can find similarly styled baskets at Target or Walmart of any big box store.  Another great place to find baskets is World Market.  Speaking of, I need to go to World Market.  I am in the market for a large basket to put under the bathroom vanity to store bath towels and blankets.

No comments

A Topiary on the Dresser

I bought this rattan candle holder several years ago, I believe from World Market.  It was an impulse buy.  I was not shopping for rattan ca...

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig