A Little Closet Maintenance

I like for all the closets, wherever I live, to be kept in good order.  I'm not one for opening a closet door and just throwing things in with no attempt at organization.


The closets in the apartment have these stainless steel hanging rods, which I like very much.  It's a nice, clean look.  They seem sturdier than wooden rods which have a tendency to sag especially the longer they are.  This rod in my dressing closet is about 7 feet long with no support in the middle.



I have used the same spacing strips in the closets here that I used at Crest Avenue.  I found these online.  They are very inexpensive and they do a great job of helping to keep the hangers evenly spaced.


All you do is measure and mark the strip where it needs to be cut and then cut it using a pair of regular household scissors.


Once you have measured and cut the sections you need, simply turn the strips over and remove the backing from the adhesive strip on the underside.  Now you are ready to secure them in place.


Here you can see that I have placed two 3' sections on this rod.  As I said earlier the rod is about 7' long, so I needed to cut a small piece of spacer to fill in here at the end.  Also good to note here - you see in this picture that there is a joint where the two sections of the clothes rod join together.  That is of no consequence when using this spacer material.  You secure it in place with the sticky backing and there is nothing else to worry with.


The spacers installed from one end of the rod to the other and my shirts all hanging perfectly in place.  You will see that I am a fan of the Joy Mangano huggable hangers.  I have had this set in black for several years now and they are like new.  I loved them so much when I bought them that I gave my sister a set as well.  You can buy them on Amazon.com or through HSN.


While I was working in the closet, I decided to add one of these charcoal odor absorbing bags.  I have used these in the past and they work quite well.  I do not like any air freshener in the closet that is scented.  The scent is absorbed by your clothing and while the scent may be quite nice, I do not want to walk around smelling like a fresh meadow or the Hawaiian tropics.  These bags work perfectly to do exactly what they are designed to do; absorb odors.


Fall is fast approaching and we will be closing up our homes soon for the chilly fall and cold winter months.  Now is the perfect time to hang these little odor absorbing bags in your closets.


I placed one in the front coat closet too.  For some reason it seems to me that coats are even more prone to absorbing indoor odors than regular, everyday clothing.  Even with the greatest ventilation and exhaust system in your kitchen, cooking odors make their way throughout any house.  As much as I do not want to smell like a fresh meadow, alternately, I do not want to smell like last nights dinner either.

So there you have a couple of suggestions for closet maintenance.  This is the right time of year to give your closets some attention as we move from the warm spring and summer months into the winter months.

3 comments

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the tip. Where do you find these adhesive spaced strips? Can’t find them.

At Home with John Newman said...

Here is a link to a seller on eBay.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Set-of-4-Closet-Organizer-HANGING-GENIUS-Organizer-System-Rack-CLOSEOUT/112586890589

At Home with John Newman said...

And thank you for reading!!!

A Topiary on the Dresser

I bought this rattan candle holder several years ago, I believe from World Market.  It was an impulse buy.  I was not shopping for rattan ca...

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig