Baxter Has Surgery

Our time has been rather monopolized recently with Baxter having surgery to remove a toe.


Here he was early on the morning of surgery at Dupont Veterinary Clinic.  He was such a trooper.  We noticed in June that he was licking one of his front toes.  A trip to the vet and we decided that he may have stepped in something on one of our walks and that we would try a round of antibiotics.  A couple weeks later it was no better so they took cultures and sent them off and they came back with results that he had a pretty bad bacterial infection.  So we did a round of stronger antibiotics.  Still no improvement.


You can see in the picture above that his toe was quite swollen.  We went again and this time they took x-rays and found that there was a tumor in his toe and that it was cancerous and that the toe would have to be removed.  Further x-rays showed that the cancer had not spread, so we scheduled him for surgery at the earliest possible date.  I dropped him off early in the morning and then spent my day busy at work with several projects to keep my mind occupied.


I received a call from Dr. Rosen around 2:00 p.m. the same day telling me the the surgery went well.  She explained what she did and gave me instructions on how to care for him once we got home.  She said he was awake and looking around wondering where I was, so I zipped over to pick him up as soon as I could.  Here he is in the car in his seat ready to be shuttled home where he spent the bulk of the evening in bed, sleeping.  They told me that he may not have an appetite for dinner.  Around 6:00 p.m. I thought I would offer him his regular meal just to see if he might eat a little.  It was all gone in a flash, so that was encouraging.


I love the little red heart they made from the elasticized bandaging.  He is an amazingly strong little dog.  He has been walking outside this week with very little problem.  We do not walk far, but he is able to get around well enough to use the bathroom.  They sent him home with pain medication and antibiotic.  We will go back next week to have the bandage removed and for Dr. Rosen to check out the incision to see how it is healing.  Very frightening to find out he had cancer but we are hopeful that the operation got it all.  Lab results will be back early next week. 

No comments

A Topiary on the Dresser

I bought this rattan candle holder several years ago, I believe from World Market.  It was an impulse buy.  I was not shopping for rattan ca...

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig