A New Planter for the Areca Palm

The Areca Palm I bought when I first moved into the apartment rather outgrew the pot I bought for it originally.  I started to do some research for a larger, more suitably sized pot and found exactly what I was looking for at Crate & Barrel.  I like the look of this pot much better and it is better sized for the palm.


My search for a new planter lead me to Crate & Barrel.  This store is in the Spring Valley section of Washington, DC.  This is one of the largest stores I have ever seen.  It is on two levels - two large, spacious levels.


I ended up with this large orb.  You can see in this photo the size difference between the two planters.  The orb planter from Crate & Barrel fits the space much better and is more aesthetically pleasing.


I call it an orb.  Crate & Barrel calls it a sphere.  It is quite large at 22" diameter but it is not hard to move due to the fact that it is a mixture of fiberglass, cement and sand.  It's nice and sturdy so it is better to have someone help you move it, but you can do it by yourself.  I brought it up from the garage by myself.  The elevator does not go to the garage in my building, so I carried it up two flights of stairs and then got it into the elevator and up to the eighth floor.


Here, a look inside the planter.  There is a drainage hole with a plug which I left in place.  I am not going to place a try underneath this and I cannot very well have it leaking water all over the floor.


In addition to the drainage hole plug, I placed this 14" plastic saucer in the bottom of the planter over the drainage hole.


I just dropped it in the bottom of the planter.  This was probably not necessary, but I would rather be safe than sorry.  I do not want any water escaping from the bottom of the planter and damaging the hardwood floor.


I emptied the dirt out of the original pot and then transferred the pea gravel from that pot into the new planter from Crate & Barrel.  This is on top of the plastic saucer.  I added in the soil from the existing pot and placed the palm tree in the new planter.  Then I filled in with several bags of palm soil.


You can pick this up at Lowe's or Home Depot.


When I was done, I had a beautiful new orb planter which fit in the space just perfectly.  I could not be more pleased with this look.  This planter comes in a smaller size also if you are interested.  The smaller one is 16.5" diameter.  It also comes in the same two sizes - 22" diameter and 16.5" diameter - in dark grey, so you could do a grouping if you like.  I decided not to do that.  I think a single pot standing alone in my situation is perfect.

No comments

A Topiary on the Dresser

I bought this rattan candle holder several years ago, I believe from World Market.  It was an impulse buy.  I was not shopping for rattan ca...

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig