What to Do with Leftover Fruit When in the Kitchen

Many times - in fact, most times - when in the kitchen preparing dishes for myself or guests there are leftovers.  It is always better to buy too much of an ingredient than too little.  Such was the case recently when we made our fruit topping for the Jell-O No-Bake Cheesecake.  I had strawberries and blueberries that I did not use in that recipe.  When this happens, you can enjoy the leftovers in a different way.


Here we have the sliced strawberries and blueberries that were leftover from our glazed cheesecake.  I placed them all together in a bowl.


I measured out 1/4 cup of white sugar.  I did not measure the leftover fruit but I would estimate that I had about two cups of fruit in the bowl.


Just sprinkle the sugar over top of the berries.


I ended up only using about 1/8 of a cup of sugar over two cups of fruit, so you don't need to use a lot of sugar.  We just want the fruit to marinate in a little sugar to add flavor.


Give the bowl a good stir using a large spoon being careful not to bruise the fruit.  You could use clean hands for this step.  I usually do that but the spoon was nearby, so ... .


Into a glass container with everything.


Place the lid on the container and into the refrigerator for at least an hour.  Overnight is better, but an hour will do.

This will make a nice fruit cup for breakfast or even a palate cleanser after dinner.  Plus you will be getting your daily fruit allowance.  The small amount of sugar will hardly matter and it will add a great boost of flavor.  This fruit should be consumed within a day or two.  By the third day, it will start to wilt.  Enjoy!

No comments

A Topiary on the Dresser

I bought this rattan candle holder several years ago, I believe from World Market.  It was an impulse buy.  I was not shopping for rattan ca...

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig