A New Zebra Cactus in a Cute Planter

Houseplants are a bit of a hobby for me.  I like to have at least a few houseplants in the apartment and I keep plants in my office also.  A friend and co-worker who relocated to California gave me this cute little planter and I decided I would choose just the right plant for it, which I think I have done.  Take a look.


It's a little hand-painted alligator with rosy cheeks.  Very cute but very small.  From nose to tail it is right at 6 inches long.


The opening on top is two and a half inches in length and one and a quarter inches wide.  So there is very little room in which to work.  You would definitely need a very small plant for this planter.


One day I arrived in the office to find that someone had put lifesavers from my lifesaver bowl in the planter.  I never found out who did this.  Nobody would fess up.  Cute idea but it would take a great deal of time to keep this filled with lifesavers with this crowd.


This little stopper in the bottom of the planter needed to be left in place since I was not going to place it in a saucer.  Although, the more I think about it, that might be a good idea.  You could buy a round clay saucer and paint it in shades of blue and green to look like water and put some pea gravel in the bottom - maybe spray paint the gravel black and add some air ferns around the outside of the clay saucer to make it look like he was lying in a bog.  Cute idea for the children to do on a cold winter weekend.  I don't think I'm going to get quite that creative with this project, but a fun idea.


I made a mad dash through Walmart recently for paper towels and wool dryer balls (that post is coming up in the next few days), and I found this cute Zebra Cactus.  I thought this was the perfect plant for our alligator planter.


When I removed the cactus from the pot I found that there were actually two plants in the same pot.  They are very small so it made sense that they were packaged and sold two to a pot.


You can see in this picture that there are clearly two separate plants.  That was a good thing for this project because I would not have been able to fit the whole plant as it was packaged into this small planter.  This made it much easier to get this project completed.


I placed one of the cacti in the cavity on his back and added a little Miracle-Gro Indoor Potting Mix and voila - our little alligator planter was done.


Here he - or she - is next to another planter at the office.  A really cute project and when I look at it I will think of my friend Samantha.

Here is some information for growing Zebra Cactus (Haworthia attenuata), also known as Zebra plants.

Plant in well draining soil.  Water sparingly.  When kept as houseplants (they can be planted outdoors in Zones 9 - 11), they may require more water in the winter when conditions are generally dry indoors.  Allow the soil to dry completely between watering.  It is not unusual to go one or two weeks without giving the plant more water.  Use a good houseplant fertilizer and follow the directions for when and how to fertilize. 

No comments

A Topiary on the Dresser

I bought this rattan candle holder several years ago, I believe from World Market.  It was an impulse buy.  I was not shopping for rattan ca...

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig