Updated Spice Jars

In April of last year, I shared with you my project for storing spices in small glass jars that I purchased as The Container Store.



I came up with the ingenious idea to transfer all the spices from their original containers in which they were purchased into these lovely little glass jars.  I was most pleased with how this turned out.  Very nice look.  I had all the spices contained in one area in the same size containers.  Additionally, the mouths of these jars were larger than the original jars in which they were packaged making it easier to get a measuring spoon inside.


There was only one problem.  I couldn't see what I had.  I store the spice bottles in a small wooden-slat serving tray on top of the NuWave oven in the kitchen.  They are always close at hand and that works for me.  I do not want to be rummaging around inside the cupboard for a spice jar that is invariably always located in the furthest space in the back.


So I made labels for the top of each jar.  These are 2" diameter Avery labels, and they worked perfectly.  I pulled up the label template and chose the font and started typing.  The text centers vertically and horizontally on each label.  I was very impressed with how this template worked.  In the past, I have not always had good luck with text on sheets of labels lining up precisely.  It would look perfect on the computer screen, but then when I printed, they were always just a little off.  Not so with these.


I made a list of what was in each jar and then sat down at the computer and input the information.  A little while later I had a beautiful set of labels for the top of each jar.


Now when I am in the kitchen creating a new recipe or following an old one, I can easily access the spice I need without having to pick up every jar to look at the label I put on the side.  A very big improvement.


As for the tray I store them in, I really like the "antiqued" look and the black metal corners on this tray.  I think this may have come from Home Goods.  I'm rather certain about that.  Of course, as we all know, the problem with Home Goods is that if you see something you like, you have to buy it that day or it will be gone never to return.  I'm certain you will find just the right storage for your spice jars and I encourage you to give this project a try.

No comments

A Topiary on the Dresser

I bought this rattan candle holder several years ago, I believe from World Market.  It was an impulse buy.  I was not shopping for rattan ca...

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig