Reusable Grocery Totes

I bought a matching set of shopping bags that can be used on the weekends when I run errands in lieu of the standard plastic bags that we have become accustomed to using.  I don't know if all the hype about plastic bags taking over the oceans and killing the marine life are true, but even if it is not, why contribute to the problem of plastic disposal any more than is absolutely necessary.


The packaging on these bags was minimal.  They were shipped in a bag made of recycled material and this was the only packaging on them.


They come in a set of 5 bags.  Each bag can handle up to 40 pounds.  Actually, the product information states they hold 40+ pounds, but I cannot tell you how much over 40 pounds.  Just know that they are quite substantial with reinforced handles and a hard plastic bottom.


I like the little tag on each bag with the company logo.  You can see in this picture that there is extra reinforcing sewn in to each handle which means the bag is strong and will last through many uses.


Here is a pic of the inside of a bag with the plastic bottom in place.


This is the storage case.  The set of five bags fit perfectly inside of the case and there is a flap on top that secures with velcro to keep them inside the storage case.  They store in the car perfectly either in the trunk or inside the car, maybe on the floor in the back seat.  I keep them inside the car so I remember to use them.  If I put them in the trunk, I would never remember to take them with me inside the store.


On a recent errand run, here I was with my bags in their storage case, inside the grocery store ready to pack up my purchases.


I removed a few bags and started loading them up.


I had a rather full cart on this particular Saturday. 


I ended up using four of the bags on this shopping trip, which was a heavier than usual grocery run.  You can see here that the bags are loaded and just waiting to be placed inside the shopping cart.


With everything packed up and in the cart, I made my way to the parking lot.  It really does not take that much longer to get everything packed.  I put heavier items on the bottom, lighter items on top.  Eggs and bread are always on top.  I keep frozen items together, refrigerated items together, canned items together, boxed items together and so on.  This way, when you get home, you can see which bags need attention first.  You want to get the bags with frozen foods out of the car and into the house first.  Then refrigerated items and then move on from there.


Into the car with the bags.  I ran a a couple quick errands and then headed home.  A note about these bags is they are not insulated.  So they are not going to keep frozen or refrigerated foods cold.  You may want to run errands to pick up other general items that you need first, then stop at the grocery.

Actually, I prefer using these as opposed to the plastic bags.  They are sturdy.  Each bag holds quite a lot.  You can make it as heavy or as light as you are comfortable with carrying, up to 40 pounds.  They stand up in the car, so you don't have them tipping over and stuff rolling all over the place while you are driving home.  I don't know why I didn't do this years ago.  If you have not considered using some form of multi-use bag for your grocery shopping, give it a thought and consider a set of these Go Green bags.

No comments

A Topiary on the Dresser

I bought this rattan candle holder several years ago, I believe from World Market.  It was an impulse buy.  I was not shopping for rattan ca...

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig