Fresh Fruit & Veggies for Lunch, ... Or Anytime!

On a recent market run, I picked up fresh cantaloupe, honeydew and tri-color sweet peppers.  Fresh cut cantaloupe and honeydew are wonderful to have in the refrigerator when you are craving a sweet snack.  They also travel to the office with great ease, so they are perfect as an accompaniment to your lunch.  Read on to see how I prepared them for the week.


A bountiful countertop.  The cantaloupe and honeydew were perfectly ripe as were the sweet peppers. A bonus was that the peppers were on sale.


I like veggie sandwiches.  And on my veggie sandwich, I like a slice or two of sweet pepper. Sometimes it is an "all veggie" sandwich.  Sometimes I add sliced turkey or roast beef.  It all depends on what I am craving that day.  These will be delicious on a sandwich or in a bowl with a little salad dressing.  Simple and delicious.  And elegant.


The honeydew was succulent.  Perfectly ripened.  I thought of making melon balls, but decided against that in favor of just slicing the melon and removing the rind.  I prefer to buy the melons myself and cut them.  I find most times when you buy melon already cut and packaged at the store, it is not good.  First of all, the melons are cut way too early.  They are not fully ripe, so you have a container of fruit that is generally hard and tasteless.  Many times it is cut to close to the rind and you end up with a bitter taste.  And for this you pay an exorbitantly higher price for the "convenience" of buying it pre-sliced?


Here, a board of cantaloupe with a light sprinkling of truffle salt with black pepper.  This is extraordinarily good.  If the idea of salt and pepper on your cantaloupe is not appealing, try just a light sprinkling of salt on its own.  It helps to bring out the flavor of the melon.  If you have not tried it, I strongly suggest you do.  I know you will be pleased with the taste.


The cantaloupe was very ripe also.  We cut close to the rind, which you can do when the melon is ripe.  There were no bitter or hard pieces of melon in our containers.


And here they are.  All three ready for the week.


I found these containers at Costco several years ago.  They are quite sturdy.  I have gotten lots of use from them.  They resemble take-out containers.  And, as you can see, they are stackable.  All ready to go into the refrigerator.


We found space for them on the bottom shelf, right next to Baxter's prepared dinner containers.

This is a good way to spend a Sunday morning, or an afternoon.  Preparing food for the upcoming week, both for yourself and your pet.  If you take care of this on Sunday, each weekday will be easier to handle as you are preparing lunches and dinner for Fido.  Pick up melons this week at the market.

A Topiary on the Dresser

I bought this rattan candle holder several years ago, I believe from World Market.  It was an impulse buy.  I was not shopping for rattan ca...

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig