The Tomato Plants, ... And More

I told you earlier in the week we would check in on the tomato plants.  We did and we have good news to report.  Read on.


Our first tomato is forming.  This is one of the black cherry tomatoes.  It is always nice to see the fruit begin to form on the vine.  I am hoping for a bumper crop of cherry tomatoes this year.  They are delicious in salads and I am anxious to see how the black cherry tomatoes look when they are fully ripened.  These would be wonderful with my salmon mousse.


Elsewhere, we have so many blooms on the large heirloom tomato plants.  I counted nine blooms in this photo.  If all of these produce fruit, we will have quite a crop.  I am hoping for that.


Take a look at the size of the tomato plants.  They love the cedar planter box.  I hope in several weeks we will have pictures of tomato vines loaded with wonderful summer tomatoes.  I'm already thinking of all the different things I can do with them.  Fresh salsa, gazpacho, stuffed tomatoes, in macaroni salad, and of course, tomato sandwiches.  Sliced tomatoes on white bread with Hellman's mayonnaise and a little salt and pepper.  Heavenly.


Here, another hydrangea but this time in pink.  This hydrangea is much smaller than the blue hydrangea in the front yard.  It is currently planted in the cedar planter with another small hydrangea and the tomatoes.  This is a temporary location for these hydrangea until I can find the right spot for them in the landscape.  I have found that any and all plants that are planted in the cedar planter love it there.  It is a great place to start any plant when you bring it home from the nursery.


Here is the brother to the pink hydrangea.  It is located in the cedar planter box also. Using the planter box, the plants are able to grow a strong root system making it much more likely that you will have greater success when transplanting to the garden.

nandina domestica heavenly bamboo
I designed the gardens at Crest Avenue.  It has been trial and error, but I am very pleased at this point with my choices of plant and where they are in the landscape.  I could never have a landscape architect design my gardens.  I am a designer.  It's what I do.  In this photo you see the delicate nandina domestica heavenly bamboo against the Giant Bamboo (bambusoideae).  I particularly like the way this looks.  There is a large grove of Giant Bamboo surrounding the deck which affords wonderful shade and privacy.  Can you see the deck in this picture?  It's there.  Giant Bamboo is a great privacy screen, but it requires lots and lots of maintenance.  If you are not willing to put in the time maintaining it, then Giant Bamboo (bambusoideae) may not be for you.

A little tour of the gardens this morning.  The weekend is forecast to be nice here in the mid-Atlantic. I hope it is nice where you are too.  Don't forget dad on Sunday and have a wonderful weekend.

A Topiary on the Dresser

I bought this rattan candle holder several years ago, I believe from World Market.  It was an impulse buy.  I was not shopping for rattan ca...

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig