I Feel Like Dancing a SALSA - CHA CHA CHA!!!

But, ... we will just make salsa instead.  Of course, you can dance the salsa while you are making salsa.  There is no law against that.  This salsa recipe I will give you today is so easy to make and delicious, it will make you dance whatever you like.  So let's turn on the music and get started.


On a recent trip to market, I found this salsa seasoning mix in a rather obscure corner, tucked away where nobody would ever find it.  I thought we would give it a try.  All you need is one pound of roma tomatoes (about 4-5 tomatoes) and a quarter cup of onion. You can use white onion, yellow onion, Vidalia, red, whatever you like.  I just used a regular white cooking onion.


I halved the roma, or plum, tomatoes.


Then I sliced them crosswise in about 1/4" slice.  Then turned those slices and sliced lengthwise to make a dice.


And here we have one pound of diced roma tomatoes.  I leave the tomato juice and the seeds.  It just adds to the flavor.  As a matter of fact, I would strongly urge against seeding the tomatoes.


I do, however, discard the ends of tomatoes.  I do not want to see little specks of the stem end in my salsa.


Into a medium or large glass bowl with the diced tomatoes.


Next up, the onion.  I removed the skin from this onion and then peeled several layers off to get to the good stuff.  I do this as a general rule when preparing onions.  The outer layers are sometimes a little tough.  Plus I want to make sure all of the skin is removed from the onion.  This is what you want for any dish you are preparing.  I always buy large to extra large onions so I have the option of removing several layers.  That way I'm not left with a tiny little onion from which I am left to dice.


I sliced several rounds from the onion, again about 1/4" in thickness.


I sliced crosswise, then turned and sliced crosswise again making a perfect dice.  You see here that I had a full one-quarter cup measure with a little diced onion left over.  Guess what.  I threw in the extra onion.  Why not.  It just added to the flavor.  So if you have a little extra onion, add it.


A beautiful bowl of diced tomato and onion.


I used a dinner fork to combine the tomato and onion together.


Then I added the content of the salsa mix on top.  I was a little worried at this point that this might be sweet.  I did not want sweet salsa.  I do not know why I thought it would be sweet.  There was just something about the look of the salsa mix that made me think it would be sweet.


I mixed it all together, again using a regular dinner fork.


I transferred the salsa to a glass container.


Snapped on the top and put it into the refrigerator to allow the flavors to incorporate.  I actually left it in overnight, but the package says you can let it sit in the refrigerator for only an hour.  And what did we end up with.  The most extraordinary salsa you have ever tasted.  It was not sweet at all.  Very robust flavor.  A definite do again.  You will see in the first picture that I got the mild version.  There was also a hot.  I think I will try that next time just for the fun of it.  I'll let you know how that turns out.

A Topiary on the Dresser

I bought this rattan candle holder several years ago, I believe from World Market.  It was an impulse buy.  I was not shopping for rattan ca...

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig