And Speaking of Tomatoes, ...

Take a look at our very healthy and vibrant tomato plants.  I could not believe that I actually harvested my first black cherry tomato last week.  You will remember last year I planted tomatoes in the earth boxes.  They grew, bloomed and produced fruit.  Then, before the tomatoes could be harvested, they died on the vine.  A terrible disappointment.  I do not think we will have the same problem again this year.


Here, our very first black cherry tomato.  I have been carefully watching this over the past several weeks in hopes that it would eventually ripen and not die on the vine like last year.


On Friday of last week, it was finally ready.  These are cherry tomatoes so they are relatively small as is evidenced by the size of the mulch in relation to the tomato.  There is nothing better than a fresh, summer tomato right off the vine and still warmed by the sunshine.


I starting snooping around the vines which are massive at this point and I found lots and lots of tomatoes.  In the picture above are the large heirloom tomatoes.  These would be wonderful, sliced, and made part of a summer cold plate.  How to make a cold plate: sliced garden tomatoes, peeled and sliced cucumbers, dill spears, iceberg lettuce leaves, julienne of red, green and yellow bell peppers, sliced cheeses and deli meats, condiments on the side in small porcelain ramekins.  Everyone takes a little of everything onto a salad plate that has been chilled in the freezer.


And another of the heirloom tomatoes which is perfectly formed.  I am thinking, since there are so many tomatoes on the vines this year, I may wait a little longer and then take some of the large green tomatoes for frying.  A plate of crispy fried green tomatoes with a glass of ice cold Lipton tea.  What could be better?


Back over to the cherry tomato vines, you see we will have an abundant supply before the season is over.  These will be delicious and perfect in cool summer salads.

I hope you were able to plant tomatoes in your garden in the early spring and that you are having great results too.

A Topiary on the Dresser

I bought this rattan candle holder several years ago, I believe from World Market.  It was an impulse buy.  I was not shopping for rattan ca...

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig