Sink Talk

Today we are going to talk about a couple of items for the kitchen in and around the sink.  The kitchen sink.  It seems everything revolves around the kitchen sink.  So why not make your time spent there as enjoyable and productive as possible.


I recently found myself in the Housegoods section of Target.  There are so many things there that you just know will improve your life.  Such was the case with this sink mat.  I have tried several of these over the years but never found one that was particularly pleasing to the eye.  I liked the design of this and I liked the size.


It is perfect for the sink at Crest Avenue.  I am not a "bull-in-a-china-shop" kind of guy with my glassware and dishes, but this will add a layer of protection just in case something is dropped in the sink.


We also needed a new dish drying mat.  I made the switch from a dish drying rack to a drying mat several years ago.  Counter space is at a premium in my kitchen, as it is in many kitchens.  Especially in kitchens in older homes like Crest Avenue.  A drying rack takes up too much space.


I can set out the drying mat right next to the sink.  Wash a few dishes and lay them on the mat to dry. Once they have dried and are put away, I simply fold up the mat and store it away until the next time.


You see here that this works perfectly to clean up after breakfast.  I think I will pick up two more of these to have when we are cleaning up from a party.  I use the dishwasher for everyday serving pieces.  But china and crystal is hand-washed.  I don't care if the dishwasher has a china/crystal setting.  These drying mats come in different colors.  This dark gray works perfectly atop my gray countertops.  Choose the color that best suits your taste and color scheme.

We are in for a heatwave beginning today and lasting through the middle of next week.  The temperature tomorrow will be 100 - 101 degrees with oppressive humidity, making it feel like 105 degrees or above.  Similar weather is forecast for Sunday, Monday and Tuesday.  We will likely not be posting any gardening projects until this has passed.  Speaking of gardening, our vinca vine arrived yesterday.  I have it temporarily planted in pots where I can better control the watering and fertilizing.  I think we will plant that in the fall.

Everyone have a wonderful weekend.

A Topiary on the Dresser

I bought this rattan candle holder several years ago, I believe from World Market.  It was an impulse buy.  I was not shopping for rattan ca...

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig