Creamy Potato Salad

We are making an all-time summer favorite today.  Creamy Potato Salad.  This is an extraordinary recipe if I do say so myself.  For years I made the standard Hellman's version potato salad and I always had a good result.  I also had a recipe with bacon that I used for some time.  My sister has that recipe now.  She loves it.  But I found both of those recipes online, so I could not add them here as my own. The recipe I am giving you today is my own.  Of course, all recipes have certain ingredients in common that build the base and generally cannot be changed.  The recipes on the recipe page are my own creations which will eventually be published, so it is important that no recipe is added to that page that is already in the public domain.  Enough technical talk.  Let's make potato salad.


We will start with the celery.  You will need three celery hearts.  The leafy ends have been removed. The tough stalk end which is the white part near the bottom is also removed.


Here is one celery heart after being trimmed.  You want to cut each celery heart into quarters.


Then, finely dice.


I used one medium sized yellow onion which gave us one cup of chopped onion.


As I have said recently, I peel off the outermost layer or two of any onion before I begin to dice.  I do not just remove the skin.  You want to get to the good part of the onion.


I got a full cup of finely diced onion with just a little bit of onion left over.  That went into a container and into the refrigerator for use in salads.  If you have a glass container to store the onion, that is best. Plastic containers take on the smell of the onion which is particularly difficult to wash away.


Into a glass bowl with the diced celery and onion.


Next up, hard cooked eggs.  I made these a day ahead using the egg cooker.  You will see there are five peeled eggs in the dish.  You may use 5 eggs in this recipe if you like, but I find 4 eggs are good.


In a large glass bowl, combine 1-1/2 cups mayonnaise, 1 tablespoon cider vinegar, 2 tablespoons sugar, 1 tablespoon yellow mustard, 1 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon garlic powder and 1/2 teaspoon white pepper.


Mix all these ingredients thoroughly with a hand whisk until smooth.


To prepare the potatoes, fill a dutch oven about halfway full of cold water and salt the water generously.  Place on the flame and set to medium-high.  Cover.


You will need seven medium sized potatoes which have been peeled.  After peeling, I rinse the potato quickly under cold running water.


Time to chop the potatoes.  About three-quarter to one inch cube is perfect.


Here are our seven potatoes, cubed and ready for the water.


Into the pot of salted, boiling water for 20-25 minutes.


When done, I placed the cooked potatoes back in the white porcelain bowl and placed them into the refrigerator to cool.  About 45 minutes should do.  Place your hand on top and when they are sufficiently cooled you are ready to assemble your potato salad.


Here, all of our ingredients ready to be assembled.


I added the cooked potatoes to the creamy mayonnaise base.


Then I added the diced onion and celery.  Combine all of these items with a large spoon.  Make sure to fully incorporate everything.


I quartered four hard-cooked eggs and placed them randomly on top of the potato salad.


A hearty sprinkling of paprika.  If you wanted to serve it like this, you certainly could.  But I prefer to give it one more thorough mixing with a large spoon.


The final mixing will give you this beautiful and delicious potato salad.  This is a very luscious potato salad.  The proportion of the potatoes to the mayonnaise base and the finely diced onion and celery all work together to make the perfect dish.  Your will love this.  Your guests will love this.  If you are invited to a cookout in the next few weeks, this would be a great dish to take to your host or hostess. And Labor Day will here before you know it.  Add this to your menu card for your Labor Day celebration.  You will be glad you did.

A Topiary on the Dresser

I bought this rattan candle holder several years ago, I believe from World Market.  It was an impulse buy.  I was not shopping for rattan ca...

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig