We Will be Working on the Recipe Page Today

Good morning!  We will be working on adding pictures to the recipe page today.  But that does not preclude us from posting something quick this morning.  It may be a short post, but one I think you will find useful.

Today we are talking pin cushions.  We all remember the pin cushions our mothers had.

I remember one of these in my mother's sewing room.  The tomato pin cushion.  There is a history to these pin cushions and why they were shaped as tomatoes.  Seems in Victorian times the image of a tomato was thought to bring prosperity and the shape just continued through the years.  I do not think my mother had a tomato pin cushion in the 50's and 60's because she thought it would bring prosperity. She had it because that was what was available at the time.  She knew that getting my father out the door every morning would bring prosperity.  The little strawberry that was most times attached to the tomato pin cushion was filled with emery powder and used to sharpen the needles and to remove rust.

Today, things have changed.  There is a different look to the age old pin cushion.  I found myself in need of one on a recent project and I found one that works perfectly.  Take a look.


I found this really cute "Pin Jar" with a pin cushion lid from Dritz, a familiar name in the sewing industry.


What a great idea.  Keep the jar attached to the pin cushion so that you are never searching for one or the other.


The colorful fabric on this pin cushion was also appealing.


And here with a few pins, ready for the project and the remaining pins stored away in the plastic container, waiting to be transferred to the cushion at some later date.

See, some of the changes over the years have been improvements.  This is one such change.  If you are looking for this pin cushion or one similar, visit your local Walmart.  That is where I found this.

A Topiary on the Dresser

I bought this rattan candle holder several years ago, I believe from World Market.  It was an impulse buy.  I was not shopping for rattan ca...

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig