Sweet Southern Magnolia

Several years ago - about three years ago now - I found myself at Lowe's garden center at their end-of-summer season sale.  You never know what you might find at these sales.  Some years you get lucky. Some you do not.  This particular year, I made my way through the dead and dying plants they were selling at drastically reduced prices and I found a tiny Southern Magnolia.  It was very healthy, unlike many of its neighboring trees.  I decided I must rescue him, so I placed him in my cart and made my way to the register.  Now, three years later, he is very happy in his new home at Crest Avenue.  Read on to see what good luck we had with this special find.


We have been especially busy in the yard this year at Crest Avenue.  Having been away for two years meant there was much to do in the way of weed control.  On a recent day when I was working in the back yard I noticed this most beautiful bloom.  Even at this point when the bloom was in its last days, the perfume was magnificent.


A walk around the tree and we were pleasantly surprised to find numerous blooms which will be opening in the coming days.


From all indications, this tree seems to be very happy in this spot in the landscape.  It is planted on a bit of an incline where the soil it well drained.  In this location it is not standing in water logged soil.


It gets plenty of afternoon sun.  Probably full sun from about 1:00 PM until 6:00 PM every day.  As the days begin to get shorter in mid-July, the hours of direct sun will gradually reduce.  I expect in the next few years we will have a fully developed magnolia that any homeowner would be proud to have in the landscape.


Here, another bloom soon to open.


And finally, one more bloom in the beginning stages of opening.

If you are interested in adding Southern Magnolia (Magnolia grandiflora) to your garden, here are some handy tips:

Step 1

Plant young magnolia in partial to full sun. Choose an area with average soil as the magnolia is not finicky about soil type.

Step 2

Keep the soil moist at all times. Water when there is little to no natural rainfall or moisture. Over watering occasionally will not damage the tree.

Step 3

Fertilize your magnolia in the spring with a general purpose flowering tree and shrub fertilizer. Avoid getting fertilizer on the trunk or any exposed roots as this may damage the tree.

Step 4

Prune the tree after flowering. Cut away side stems as they form from the main trunk to avoid the magnolia producing multiple trunks. Trim the crown only for established trees to maintain the height and shape of the tree.

Step 5

Rake up fallen leaves and flowers so they don't harbor harmful insects or disease. Magnolias are prolific producers of leaf litter and the leaves deteriorate on their own slowly.

A Topiary on the Dresser

I bought this rattan candle holder several years ago, I believe from World Market.  It was an impulse buy.  I was not shopping for rattan ca...

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig