A New Clock/Weather Station for the Kitchen

We had some pretty severe downpours last week, particularly on Friday.  I noticed that the outside temperature on the weather station in the kitchen was flashing "- - -".


I thought maybe we just needed to replace the batteries in the outdoor sensor which was mounted on the deck, but that turned out not to be the case.  When I unscrewed the back from the outdoor sensor and removed the batteries, there was water inside the battery compartment.  I dried it with a paper towel, but when I removed the outer battery compartment shield, the little rubber gasket that seals it in place came off.  Without that, the outdoor sensor is of no use because water and debris can enter the battery compartment.  It was time for a new system.


I found a new clock/weather station combination at Walmart.  This one offers all of the same features as the previous unit, but with a slightly larger display.  As much as I may dislike admitting it, a slightly larger display is a very nice thing to have these days, eyesight not being quite what it used to be.


We needed a pack of four AA batteries to get this up and running.


 Two of those batteries go in the clock.


Be certain you get the polarity right.


The cover just snaps back in place.  The back is also marked with "-" and "+" to assist you in getting the batteries in the right way.


This model also comes with a built-in stand in case you would like to sit the unit on a table or the countertop.  That will not work for me.  So I simply folded this flat, and hung the unit on the wall over the sliding glass door where the previous one hung for many years.  I tried an experiment a few years ago to move the old unit to another location in the kitchen and it was a disaster.  I am so used to looking at this particular spot on the wall for time and weather information that it was frustrating every time I looked there and it was gone.  It was very quickly moved back.


This is the new outdoor sensor which will give us the temperature and humidity readings from outside.


The other two AA batteries go inside this unit and then the back slides on and snaps in place.


I mounted this sensor in the exact spot where the previous sensor was located.  But, I decided to move it because for a very short period of time during the early afternoon, this spot gets full sun. That will only result in a false outdoor temperature reading.  The instructions clearly state to place the sensor outside, but out of direct sunlight.


So I moved it here on the privacy wall on the back side of the deck between my house and the house next door.  I drilled a small pilot hole and then used my rechargeable handheld screwdriver to drive in the mounting screw.  It worked like a charm

This clock automatically updates for daylight saving time, so there is no need to worry with that in the spring and fall.
Finally, the new clock/weather station in place on the wall.  This unit is nicely sized, easy to read, and I rather like the wood frame in cherry finish around the outer perimeter.  It is very clean and sophisticated and it looks wonderful in the kitchen.  This unit was $29.97 as compared to similar units offering the same information starting at $44.97 in other large retailers.




A Topiary on the Dresser

I bought this rattan candle holder several years ago, I believe from World Market.  It was an impulse buy.  I was not shopping for rattan ca...

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig