Updated Kitchen Cabinet Storage

Organization and storage in the home is an ongoing project.  What may have worked a year ago or two years ago may not work today.  We must stay forever vigilant in finding new and better ways to keep the home properly organized.  Such was the case recently in one of the kitchen cabinets at Crest Avenue.  What worked for me a few years ago was no longer working.  So I took a little time to examine the situation and I came up with a better plan.  Let's see what you think.


A few years ago I found these large glass canisters which I loved.  They worked at the time and, indeed, for several years to store flour, sugar, coffee and tea bags. But things change.  I needed more storage on this shelf and these canisters had to go.  The other issue with these was that tops had to be turned upside down because there was a glass knob on top of each that would not allow the top to fit in the cabinet space.  I was never a fan of that.  This shelf could have been lowered, but that would have caused spacing issues in the two compartments below.  So it really was not an option.


On a recent trip to Walmart, I found these wonderful, square, food containers with sealing lids.  These come in a variety of sizes.  So I decided to give them a try.


I thought the large 23.5 cup size would work perfectly to keep this rosemary sour dough bread fresh for sandwiches during the week.


And it did.  It worked perfectly.  I had a full loaf and a half of bread and it all fit inside this container. Here is how they work.  You see the clear lucite handle on top?  To seal in freshness, you push the handle down.  To release the seal and remove the top, you simply lift up on the handle. A very clean design.  And with the airtight seal, you can be assured that the contents will remain fresh longer than a container without the seal.  An improvement over the glass canisters.


Finally, the cabinet with the new "squared" containers.  From left to right - rosemary sour dough bread, all-purpose flour, sugar, cornmeal, dark brown sugar and light brown sugar.  Now this shelf is functioning at full capacity.  But, where is the coffee and the tea bags from the original configuration. I am doing the Keurig individual serving pods these days for coffee.  And the tea is being stored temporarily in a Ziploc bag.

These containers are a much better choice for this space.  They are not cheap, even from Walmart, but well worth the investment.

A Topiary on the Dresser

I bought this rattan candle holder several years ago, I believe from World Market.  It was an impulse buy.  I was not shopping for rattan ca...

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig