With Six You Get Eggroll

I don't know how many of you will recall this 1968 American romantic comedy starring Doris Day and Brian Keith, but I certainly do.

I was nine years old when it was released.  It was a good movie in 1968 and it is still a good movie in 2017.  As a matter of fact, I watched it again recently on one of the movie channels.  I think my favorite character was Doris' sister, Maxine, played by Pat Carroll.


Pat Carroll was, and probably still is, one of the funniest people on earth.  She was fabulously funny in any part she played.  If you get a chance, see this movie.  But enough about the movies.  This is not a movie review blog.  Let's get on to today's post, which is about, ... eggrolls!!!

Try Van's Kitchen Egg Rolls.  They are delicious and a "Women Owned" business.
I picked up this package of Van's Kitchen  egg rolls recently.  They were in the refrigerated section of the market.  But as you can see on the package, they can be refrozen, which is what I did.  I was not sure when or how I would use them.  I thought two of them with a salad could make a nice dinner. Or, I could heat all five, cut them in half, and serve on a platter for a small group.  It turns out I had them for dinner.  Not all five, but two.  I removed them from the freezer the day before and let them thaw in the refrigerator.  When time to prepare, line a baking sheet with foil and set the oven to 325 degrees.  Once the temperature has been reached, place the baking sheet on the middle rack of the oven and set the timer for 20 minutes.


I decided to have my egg rolls with Kikkoman Sweet & Sour dipping sauce.  This is quite delicious. I keep a bottle of it in the refrigerator at all times.  I could have served them with Ka-Me Hot Mustard, but I was feeling more like sweet & sour this time.


I found these cute little paper cups somewhere and I cannot remember where right now.  I bought several bags of them in varying sizes.  I thought one of these would be perfect for the dipping sauce.


And indeed, it was.  Two egg rolls served on a plain white plate with a little cup of sweet & sour dipping sauce.  The perfect dinner.

Let's talk about the different ways to prepare these.  They are already cooked.  So all you are doing is heating them up.  The package says they are microwaveable.  And that is true.  But, ...  blech!!  I tried heating them in the microwave and they were terrible.  They get soggy.  They have cabbage and other similar ingredients inside the wrap.  Microwaved cabbage is not appetizing.  So, do not heat them in the microwave.  There is no amount of dipping sauce in the world to make them palatable from the microwave.  Use the oven method I gave above and you will enjoy deliciously warm and crisp egg rolls which are divine with sweet & sour sauce.











A Topiary on the Dresser

I bought this rattan candle holder several years ago, I believe from World Market.  It was an impulse buy.  I was not shopping for rattan ca...

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig