Planter Plantings

I bought three planters for the deck railing in the early spring.  They have been sitting on the railing empty because I could not decide what to plant.  I was recently at Lowe's in their garden center and I found a rack with plants that were reduced in price by 50%.  Would there be anything I wanted?  Take a look.


The three planters, just sitting on the deck railing, waiting for something to be planted in them. Something.  Anything.  We're planters.  We want plants!!!


The first thing to do was to drill holes in the bottom of each where indicated with a small round circle.


A 3/4" drill bit and my electric drill and the drainage holes were drilled and we were ready to start planting.


These planters each have troughs where the drainage holes were drilled.  We filled each trough with medium sized garden stones.  I did not use pea gravel this time, but you could.


Fill the planter about half-way with a good quality potting soil.  As you know, I generally use Miracle-Gro potting soil.  I have had very good luck with that over the years.


As I said earlier, I found a rack at Lowe's with plants that were marked down for clearance.  These three beautiful nandina were there.  There wasn't anything wrong with them.  They were perfectly healthy.  Many of the other plants did not look this good.  So I grabbed them before someone else did.


As you see here, they were marked for clearance at $10.00 each.  The original price was $19.95 each, so this was a very good find for healthy plants.


We have talked about this in the past, but as a reminder, whenever you buy plants from the nursery or garden center, be certain to loosen the root ball after you extricate the plant from the plastic pot.  Do no just take it out of the pot and plant the root ball in the ground or place it in a pot.  Being root-bound in the plastic pot while growing in the nursery is fine.  But when you plant them at home, remove the planting soil they original grew in and place the root ball in good quality potting or garden soil.  You will be assured of much better success with your plants if you use this method.


Finally, here they are in the pots on the deck.  This area gets late morning, early afternoon sun for at least a couple hours.  Nandina particularly like morning sun.  The rest of the afternoon offers dappled sun through the bamboo.  I am hoping they will thrive here.  I usually have very good luck with nandina, whether in pots or planted in the garden.  They are beautiful and they look wonderful anywhere in the landscape.

A Topiary on the Dresser

I bought this rattan candle holder several years ago, I believe from World Market.  It was an impulse buy.  I was not shopping for rattan ca...

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig