I Re-Organized the Shower

I reorganized the shower at Crest Avenue.  I have long been a fan of the metal or bamboo shelving units that fit over the shower head.  But that is just not working for me these days.  I installed a new shower head several weeks ago and the shelving unit behind it just no longer works for me.  It was an inexpensive unit that I picked up at Bed Bath & Beyond.  It is rusted and it looks awful.  It was time to make a change.


I decided to take a completely different approach to shower organization this time around.  I found this wonderful shower organizer online at Target.com.  I placed my order and it showed up in like four hours.  Well, it didn't arrive quite that soon, but it was at my front door very quickly.  Shopping online these days is the only way to go.  It's not just Amazon who is doing a great job.  Most online retailers have stepped up their game when it comes to shipping.


So, as you can see, this unit includes a shelf, fog-free mirror and storage hooks.  A fog-free mirror?  Not really.  You will still need to spray it with fog free spray such as Rain-X Fog Free Spray.


This is a nice sleek look to your shower organization.  A nice upgrade to any bathroom.


This new organizer went on the wall where this mirror had been for several years.

I used a single-edged razor blade to remove these Velcro strips.

I had problems with this mirror staying mounted on the tile in the tub area.  I finally resorted to using these strips of Velcro fasteners to keep it in place.  I liked the larger mirror surface of this mirror as compared to the one in the new organizer, but the other good aspects of the new one far outweighed the mirror size.


Once the old mirror was down and the Velcro removed, the instructions suggested cleaning the wall with alcohol.  So that is what I did.  I found that the alcohol did a good job of cleaning, but was not fully sufficient.  So I went back over the area with Formula 409 and I used a single-edged razor blade to completely remove any residue from the tile.  Then I sprayed it again with Formula 409 and wiped it down with paper toweling.  Then I left it to dry for several hours.


Here, a picture of the back of the unit.  The various raised areas are where the adhesives are applied.  I think they have done a good job of including plenty of adhesives to hold this unit in place for a long time.


I began with these square adhesive pads.


I applied one on each of the four corners as instructed in the literature enclosed with the unit.  I applied these and left them to fully adhere for several hours.  Overnight would be good.


Once the tile was fully dried and the adhesive pads had been in place for a suitable amount of time, it was time to apply the silicone glue to the other raised portions on the back.


The instructions said to apply the silicone glue in a zig-zag or wavy pattern, not in a straight line.  So that is what I did.  After I applied the glue, I quickly removed the backing from the adhesive pads, since those are there to help hold the unit in place while the silicone adhesive sets.


And here is our new shower organizer fully installed.  The instructions say to leave it for 24 hours so it is fully set before adding liquids to the chambers or placing any items upon the shelves.  I am going to suggest that you wait 48 hours or even 72 hours, ... or 96 hours.  It cannot hurt to wait as long as possible before you start adding weight to the unit.  I installed this at a time when I would be out of the house and not using the shower, so there was no humidity or anything to interfere with the setting process.


And finally, here is is, ready for use.  I used the hooks on the lower right to hold razors and I placed a tube of shaving cream on the top shelf.  Shampoo, shower gel and lotion will be added later.

*          *          *



On the other side of the shower area, you see the organizer I have been using.  This is one of those metal units that fit over the shower head support arm.  The shower head I installed is much larger than the one that was there previously, so this has been an issue. 
 

And, as you can see here, it is rusted and it looks terrible.  I do not want to start or end my day taking a shower next to this thing.  So now, I don't!

There is still the issue of where to hang the back brush and bath cloth.  We will cover that next week.

No comments

A Topiary on the Dresser

I bought this rattan candle holder several years ago, I believe from World Market.  It was an impulse buy.  I was not shopping for rattan ca...

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig