Strawberries with Cranberry Pear Balsamic and Powdered Sugar

I bought a two pound container of fresh strawberries from the grocery store.  They looked so fresh and delicious that I could not resist.  When I opened the container and tried a few I was shocked at just how tasteless they were.  Completely devoid of any flavor.  I didn't want two pounds of beautiful strawberries to go to waste, so I decided to jazz them up and add some flavor.  See what I did below:


Here are the strawberries in the package as I purchased them from the grocer.  Some of them were picked a little early.  Of that we can be certain.  But even the fully ripe ones were flavorless.


I used a small paring knife to remove the caps.  Where possible, I cut in a circular motion on an angle around each cap.  If there was a pronounced white area, I cut straight across to remove it entirely.


I quartered most of them, but the smaller ones I only cut in half.  The container from the store weighed in at two pounds.  We have here about one and three quarter pounds since, as I said earlier, I tried several of them from the container before deciding to flavor them.


I decided a little balsamic vinegar and powdered sugar should do the job.  Actually, I had cranberry pear flavored balsamic vinegar in the cabinet and that did a wonderful job.


On top of the sliced strawberries I added three tablespoons of powdered sugar.


Then, three tablespoons of the cranberry pear balsamic vinegar.


I did not stir them.  I did not use my hands to incorporate the sugar and vinegar.  I grabbed the bowl on opposing sides with both hands and began to move it in a circular fashion until the sugar was absorbed into the vinegar.

Leave the bowl to sit on the counter, uncovered, for one hour, mixing the berries, sugar and vinegar occasionally by shaking the bowl.  At the end of one hour, place the bowl into the refrigerator and leave them to chill for one hour.


When you remove them from the refrigerator, give the bowl a good shake.  Then, using a large serving spoon, fill a large serving dish with the entire lot or introduce into small, single serving bowls which have been chilled in the freezer.


Here is one serving in a cute little white porcelain bowl I got from Pier 1.  You could serve these with freshly made whipped cream, on the side.  A big bowl of fresh whipped cream sitting on ice to keep it cold and firm with a large silver serving spoon would be lovely.  Everyone can add their own, if they see fit.  Of course, for this post, I served them naked with plenty of the balsamic and sugar juices  They are divine on their own.  Wonderful served cold right after dinner.


I stored what was left in this plastic container in the refrigerator.  But, be forewarned, they do not last long.  You will want to prepare these the day of your event and serve them that day.  You may get a day or two out of them after the initial serving, but probably no more than that.  And as delicious as they are, I doubt there will be any for leftovers. 


No comments

A Topiary on the Dresser

I bought this rattan candle holder several years ago, I believe from World Market.  It was an impulse buy.  I was not shopping for rattan ca...

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig