We Tried the Nestle Packaged Toll House Cookies

It has been many, MANY years since I used pre-packaged cookie dough.  But I recently tried it again just for the fun of it and, I must admit, I was pleasantly surprised at just how good the cookies turned out.  Of course, homemade is always the preferred way to make toll house cookies, but if you are in a hurry or you just don't want to spend the time involved with making them yourself, I am telling you today that you can pick up a package of this pre-packaged cookie dough and you will end up with some rather delicious cookies for the kids, ... or yourself!



A glass of cold milk, even Almond Milk, and a toll house cookie.  What could be more satisfying?  Let me take you through the steps so you are certain to get the right results.


I actually ended up making two batches, which was two separate packages.  One package will completely fill a standard cookie sheet.


Before we go any further, I think it is imperative to share this picture with you and the warning to "not consume raw cookie dough."  I must admit, I find it odd that we are told not to eat raw cookie dough these days.  I've eaten raw cookie dough since I was a small child and never had any dire side effects.  I even started a post several months ago where I was going to share a recipe with you for making cookie dough without eggs so you could enjoy it from the refrigerator.  It was during my research for that post that I discovered that now the other culprit in the dough is the flour.  SEE my post on 9/14/2017 concerning this issue.


As you can see, when you open the package, the dough is already scored.


To make it easier to separate each individual square, I cut through the dough on each of the scored lines.  Be sure to do this or you will become frustrated trying to separate the dough.


Here is our dough completely separated.


For the first batch, I simply placed each square of dough on a non-stick cookie sheet, lined up as perfectly as possible.  I left about an inch and a half between each square.  According to the package directions, I preheated the oven to 350℉.  I placed the cookie sheet with the dough on the middle rack, set the timer for 11 minutes and waited to see what I would get.


Eleven minutes later, this is what I had.  Rather puffy toll house cookies with the square dough we started with still very visible in each cookie.  I did not like this.  I thought maybe after they cooled and flattened out a bit that this would disappear.


It did not.  As a matter of fact, the square was even more pronounced after they cooled.  These would never do on a buffet table or placed in little paper bags to be given as gifts.  I didn't even want to eat them myself.  Although, ... I did.  They were quite delicious, but not pretty.  And clearly anybody would know immediately that it was pre-packaged cookie dough.


So, ... I made a second batch.  This time I sliced through the scored dough as we did above.  But, before placing the dough on the cookie sheet, I very gently rolled it between the palms of my hands.  Don't overdo it because it will make the cookies tough.  Just very lightly roll the dough enough to remove the "squareness" and make it more of a ball.  Into a preheated 350℉ oven again, for 11 minutes and we awaited to see what we would have.  As you see above, we had perfectly cooked toll house cookies.  You couldn't tell these from homemade if you tried.


I set up the cooling rack over a cutting board.


I let the cookies cool on the baking sheet for a few minutes and then moved them to the cooling rack.  As you can see above, perfect toll house cookies.

"They look good, but how do they taste", you ask.  I must admit I was quite surprised at just how good they were.  I find many times that anything bought "pre-packaged" has a chemical taste once it is prepared.  I did not notice that with the Nestle cookie dough.  They are scrumptious.  So good, in fact, I would serve them to company.  Nestle has done an excellent job with this product.

I would strongly suggest you give these a try.  I think you will be quite pleased.


No comments

A Topiary on the Dresser

I bought this rattan candle holder several years ago, I believe from World Market.  It was an impulse buy.  I was not shopping for rattan ca...

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig