Avocado with Backfin Crab Salad

I have a recipe for you today that is just extraordinary.  Don't I say that about all my recipes??!!  Well, this one really is superb.  And it is quick and easy to make and just perfect for spring light fare.  This is not an original recipe.  I found this online but it was so delicious I just had to share it with you.


Let's start with the ingredient list.  You will need one medium Haas avocado, 4 ounces of backfin crab meat, 2 tablespoons chopped red onion; 1-1/2 tablespoons fresh lime juice, 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, 2 grape tomatoes, diced, 1/2 teaspoon olive oil, 1/4 teaspoon salt and fresh black pepper.

What is the difference between Jumbo Lump and Backfin Crab Meat you ask?

JUMBO LUMP comes from the joint of the swimming fins.  It is prized for its delicate nature and sweet taste.  It is great for crab cakes.

BACKFIN meat is a combination of jumbo lump and special grade meat which usually appears to be loose and separated from the crab shell.  It is better suited to stuff certain vegetables and other seafood and is excellent in soups and dips.

We will run through the ingredients as prepared very quickly.


One tablespoon fresh cilantro.


Two grape tomatoes, diced.


Two tablespoons chopped red onion


I used this great juicer to juice one lime.  I thought at first I might need two limes, but I only needed one.


One and a half tablespoons of fresh lime juice.


 I combined all the above ingredients and then added one quarter teaspoon salt.


And a quarter teaspoon freshly ground black pepper.


Into a mixing bowl with four ounces of the delectable backfin crab meat.


I added the melange of ingredients previously incorporated and one half teaspoon olive oil.
I gave this all a good stir and then set about preparing the avocado.


If you buy avocados on a regular basis, you know how difficult it is to find one that is just at the perfect ripeness.  I have long been a fan of avocados, so I am usually able to tell by the feel of the skin when it is perfectly ripe and ready to eat.  But sometimes even I miss.  I got lucky this day.  When I cut into this avocado, it was perfectly ripe with no black spotting.


I piled half of our delicious topping on one half of the avocado and the same with the other half.  The thing with this dish is, it must be consumed when prepared.  Avocados do not keep.  They will start to turn brown almost immediately after they are cut.  Yes, you can sprinkle them with lemon or lime juice and that will retard the browning, ... somewhat.  But not entirely.  And not for long.  So plan on serving these right away.


Our lovely avocado. sliced to show you what a great presentation this is.


I served with these wonderful pita chips which turned out to be a delicious accompaniment.  These would be perfect for a quick brunch.  You could serve a tray of salmon roe on toast points with creme fraiche and serve these individually on clear glass plates that were thoroughly chilled in the freezer.  Chill your silver serving forks also.  That's always a nice touch.

No comments

A Topiary on the Dresser

I bought this rattan candle holder several years ago, I believe from World Market.  It was an impulse buy.  I was not shopping for rattan ca...

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig