A New Kitchen Thermometer and a Perfectly Cooked Roast

Kitchen thermometers come in a variety of configurations.  I have owned several over the years and with varying degrees of success.  I find that the digital thermometers are more accurate than the mechanical versions.  I recently found an even more updated version of thermometer that actually connects to your iPhone using Bluetooth technology.  The beauty of this is that you can set your grill or oven to temperature, place your roast or whatever you are cooking in the oven or on the grill, insert the temperature probe and connect the other end of the probe to thermometer.  The thermometer transmits the cooking temperature to the app on your phone and you can join your guests on the deck or patio or in the living room for cocktails.  You are no longer tethered to the kitchen to watch the thermometer.  Isn't that wonderful.  So, ... let's cook a roast!!


Here is the new kitchen thermometer from iDevices.  It's very compact - well, as you see on the box it says mini.



It comes with everything you need.  It already has a #2032 battery installed.  You get the instruction booklet and the temperature cable and a handy storage case for the thermometer and the cable.


Here is a closer view of the case that holds the cable.  There is a magnet that holds the thermometer tightly to the thermometer cable case.


I decided I wanted to cook the roast in a cast iron skillet this time.  I found this perfectly sized 10" square grill pan from Calphalon which worked perfectly for a three pound rump roast.


Here is our roast.  To be more exact it weight in at 2.83 pounds, but we'll call that three pounds.  Very lean with just enough marbling to add good flavor.


There was a section of fat on the bottom that I removed.  This was not going to add any flavor to the meat.  It was on the bottom surface so it would simply have cooked off and ended up in the bottom of the grill pan and made a terrible smoky mess.  Who wants that.  So I removed it.


I don't add a lot of seasoning when I cook a roast.  Over-seasoning can ruin the whole thing.  I generously season with regular table salt and finely ground black pepper on all sides.


After the salt and pepper, I grab a bottle of oil.  This time I used canola oil but you could use vegetable oil or safflower oil.  Or olive oil.  Whatever you like.


No special measurement here.  Just pour it over the roast and rub it in all over.  Turn the roast over and make sure you oil it on all sides just as you did with the salt and pepper.


No need to oil the pan.  The roast is oiled.  And especially no need to oil in this wonderful grill pan.  I thought about searing it first on all sides, but decided against that in the end.  You will see later that we did not need to do that.  It turned out just beautiful without searing.


Into a 500℉ oven where you let it cook for five minutes per pound.  In this case, fifteen minutes.  Then turn off the oven and leave the roast to cook in the oven with the door closed for two hours.


Back to the thermometer.  I used my new iGrill Kitchen Thermometer to track the temperature of the meat while it was cooking and I was extremely happy with the end result.  I ended up with a perfectly cooked roast that was quite delicious.  This great little meat thermometer is probably the best I've ever owned.  You download the app from Weber who bought the Kitchen Thermometer division from iDevices a few years ago.


Here the thermometer cable from the oven door to the digital thermometer on the kitchen counter.


The first reading I got was that we had reach forty-five degrees.


A little while later, we reached one hundred thirty degrees.  At this point there is an audible alert letting you know that temperature has almost been reached.


And another alert when temperature was reached.  I left the probe in and did not open the door for the remainder of the cook time.  USDA recommendations are that beef is cooked to at least one hundred forty five degrees.  We eventually reached one hundred fifty three degrees for this roast, so we well exceeded recommended temperatures.


Here is our beautiful roast immediately after it was removed from the oven.  You see now why I said that it did not need to be seared on all sides before being placed in the oven.  That is a perfectly cooked roast.  This would look beautiful on any table.


Here, a few slices of our freshly cooked roast of beef.  Done to perfection for my taste.  This is considered medium rare which is to my liking.  Positively perfect for sandwiches on freshly made sourdough bread.  I hope you will try this recipe the next time you are making a roast for your family or for a special event.  I know you will be pleased with the outcome.





No comments

A Topiary on the Dresser

I bought this rattan candle holder several years ago, I believe from World Market.  It was an impulse buy.  I was not shopping for rattan ca...

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig