A Mother's Day Card and a Sparkly Champagne Bag

We are going to talk about two separate, yet similar topics today.  First we will talk about Mother's Day, which is next weekend.  Then we will talk about the upcoming wedding, which is Saturday, May 16.  Both topics involve special events and gift giving, so I thought I would combine the two.

Mother's Day is Sunday, May 10.  I will be making a trip to Midlothian, VA to visit my mother on Saturday the 9th.  Making the 6-hour round trip on Sunday does not work for me.  So she can celebrate on Saturday with me and on Sunday with my sister.  It will be Mother's Day "weekend," which sounds like way more fun.


I found this beautiful card as I entered the Whole Foods store in Foggy Bottom one day this week. They had a very nice selection of cards, and I spent some time going through them all before selecting what I thought was just the perfect one.


The card opens from the bottom to reveal this very appropriate greeting.  Honestly, most of the cards available to us these days are just awful.  Long-winded, over the top expressions of undying affection and recounting of events in ones youth are just too much for me.  The sentiments start to become insincere in my opinion.  "Happy Mother's Day with all my love."  That is exactly how I feel and I want my mother to know just that (not that she doesn't already, but it is important to remind her especially on this day).  She is not given to a lot of froufrou.


I had no idea what the inside of the envelope would look like when I bought the card.  It was all in a clear plastic sleeve.  So I was pleasantly surprised to see the clever artwork inside.


The card, signed and placed inside the envelope, is in a safe place until next Saturday.


Now, to the wedding.  I found this bag in beautiful sparkling silver for presenting a bottle of bubbly to the happy couple on their wedding day.


I loved the bag, but I was not sure that I loved the big silver medallion on the ribbon handle.


So, I removed it.  I like the bag unadorned.  It does not need this medallion.  It only takes away from the simple beauty of the bag.


I had other uses for this on the bottom of the bag.  Why, why, why must we endure these horrid stickers on everything that will not easily come off?  It drives me to distraction.  I do not expect they will turn the bag over to look at this label, but I will know it is there.  So, I re-purposed the medallion here.


First up, we had to remove the little gem that was in the middle.  Nobody wants a bag that will not sit flat.


Now we were ready to fix the label problem.


A roll of Scotch brand double sided tape was the first thing we needed.


We turned over our medallion and placed short strips of double sided tape along each point on the circle until we had covered the entire bottom side.


Then we turned it over and placed it in such a manner as to completely cover the bar code sticker.  I didn't worry so much about the small cutout and its final location.  I was more concerned with covering the label.  A few firm presses and the medallion was adhered.

So, there you are.  We are somewhat prepared for Mother's Day.  We will pick up a gift and some flowers to take with us next weekend.  And we have one more thing taken care of for the wedding. I got the "OK" today from Mac that they would like the favor boxes for the reception.  I am anxious to get started on those.  I found a large silver tray at Crate & Barrel that I will place them on at the reception.  It will be a fun and festive day.






No comments

A Topiary on the Dresser

I bought this rattan candle holder several years ago, I believe from World Market.  It was an impulse buy.  I was not shopping for rattan ca...

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig