Mother's Day with my Mother and Sister

The visit with my mother and sister to celebrate Mother's Day was a blast.  My mother, who has a very quick wit, gave us a few phrases which will stay with us forever.  Thanks mom!

On Friday afternoon, I ran out to Twinbrook Floral in Burke, VA to pick up the flowers I wanted to take with us on Saturday.  Twinbrook Floral is a 1-800-Flowers retailer.  I found the arrangement I wanted online at the 1-800-Flowers website and then placed the order directly with this florist.  I picked them up and delivered them myself which I prefer to do.


This shop is just outside the beltway in the Virginia suburbs.  Actually, it was a trip down memory lane.  When I first moved to the Washington Metropolitan area, the first place I lived was Burke, VA. That was in 1985.  So it was nice to be back in that neighborhood after all these years.  I enjoyed living there.


This was the arrangement I chose.  White roses and strawberry lilies.  Isn't this stunning?  I do not think I could have chosen a more perfect arrangement.  The designers at Twinbrook Floral outdid themselves and I truly appreciate their special attention to detail.


They have a very cute shop.  Sort of the standard layout.  All floral shops have that familiar scent of fresh flowers and eucalyptus.  I love that smell.


While I was waiting for my arrangement, I was intrigued by these enormous silk flowers on a table across the store.


I did not have a plan for them on Friday when I visited, but I could see these being used to decorate for a soiree in the future.  I'll have to give this some more thought.


In addition to the flowers, we took a box of Russell Stover candies, which you can see in the picture above.  In the bag was a pearl bracelet from Pearls by Laurel (www.pearlsbylaurel.com) and a box of truffles from Trader Joe's.


This bracelet was exquisite.  The brown pearl represented by birthday in November and the blue pearl was for my sister's birthday in December.  These were Swarovski pearls and it was really beautiful.


The truffles were these delicious cocoa dusted truffles from Trader Joe's.  I was in Trader Joe's several weeks ago and saw these and decided they would be a good gift for Mother's Day.  When I checked out the cashier told me that these were delicious.  She was right.  Extraordinary is more like it.


A taste sensation, to be sure.

Pre-lunch was sliced prosciutto, sliced baguette, and a triple creme brie with peach chutney.  Lunch was crab brunch casserole over egg noodles, ham biscuits, green bean salad, corn on the cob (which was extraordinary, compliments of my sister and her husband).  Dessert was no-bake cheesecake, unadorned.

We had a spectacular visit, as usual.  It pains me that my mother lives so far away.  I see her maybe 3 or 4 times per year.  We strive to make every visit as special as possible since there are so few of them.  I hope each of you had a pleasant visit with your mother or someone special in your life over the weekend.


No comments

A Topiary on the Dresser

I bought this rattan candle holder several years ago, I believe from World Market.  It was an impulse buy.  I was not shopping for rattan ca...

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig